Author Topic: Inline vs Spinning Reels (video)  (Read 1778 times)

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Inline vs Spinning Reels (video)
« on: Dec 05, 2020, 01:09 PM »
For the past few years I've been using inline reels and they always get a lot of attention on the ice and on video so I thought I would do a quick video comparing their strengths and weaknesses on the ice.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Re: Inline vs Spinning Reels (video)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2020, 02:53 PM »
How often do you have to hand feed the line with the inline reel? In this video didn't notice you dropping the lure down the hole and in another video(ice shelf brookies) it looks like you hand feed the line, in four feet of water? I ask because I have a Black Betty 6061 and it has never simply dropped the line, always have to hand feed it? I have been reviewing many videos, not one without hand feeding the line.

BTW, Great videos and very informative!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2020, 08:37 PM »
How often do you have to hand feed the line with the inline reel? In this video didn't notice you dropping the lure down the hole and in another video(ice shelf brookies) it looks like you hand feed the line, in four feet of water? I ask because I have a Black Betty 6061 and it has never simply dropped the line, always have to hand feed it? I have been reviewing many videos, not one without hand feeding the line.

Used my new Piscifun ICX last weekend, and it easily dropped a 1/64oz. jig without any assistance.  But it has a much smaller spool than most inline reels, and is riding on full bearings with no resistance when the freefall lever is pulled.
Tight lines!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2020, 04:50 AM »

I have two of 6061 and have never had to hand feed to line. Not sure what the lightest one I have used but pretty small.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2020, 12:59 PM »

I hand feed line a lot mostly out habit or because I'm fishing shallow for trout. When targeting deep schools of perch or walleye that freefall makes a world of difference.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2020, 01:03 PM »
Can you elaborate more on why lower the line by hand is beneficial? I知 not sure I知 following what the benefit is in shallow water. What lbs test, type of line and other bits are considered for this technique?
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline spiltmilt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2020, 01:45 PM »
Can you elaborate more on why lower the line by hand is beneficial? I知 not sure I知 following what the benefit is in shallow water. What lbs test, type of line and other bits are considered for this technique?

I'm lowering by hand because often I'm within a foot or two of my target and mostly out of habit. I constantly have to remind myself that I have that trigger. Its a hard habit to break for me. On my freefall reels I typically run 4 lb braid or fluro.

Offline DrummerManDrew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2020, 02:24 PM »
I gotcha now... I was thinking there was a different technique of hand lowering a long for presentation purposes. When I知 running spinning reels and getting set up, I do pull from the reel while adjust the drag to kinda kill two birds at once. Some of the in lines I have don稚 trigger, so I知 able to lightly hood a finger on the reel as it slowly run down...

I have found pros and cons for both but either way, I知 getting pretty excited for the season ahead.
Be well and DO Good Work!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2020, 09:19 PM »
Spiltmilt thank you for the video lots of good information.
 Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.