Author Topic: Vexilar owners and users ONLY  (Read 12684 times)

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Vexilar owners and users ONLY
« Reply #60 on: Oct 05, 2020, 09:00 AM »
Glad this post came up.
Have a dilemma.
Have a FL8 that has run awesome over the years.
Wife has found out why I love ice fishing so much :(
So, since I like to leave the shack and search for active fish.
Thought I'd leave her in the shack with the FL8.
Was thinking of getting a FL18 (maybe reconditioned)
Everyone's thoughts?
Is the FL18 the way to go?
Hard to leave a Vexilar with the good luck I've had with my FL8

FL18 is a great choice and you can find them used if you keep your eyes open. I've bought them off of Ebay and Craigslist. My last purchase was an almost new FL20 i bought on a 90 degree day in July for $200! I actually like the 18 better than the 20. The 20 goes to 300' deep so in water deeper than 80' you only have 1/4 of the screen  and if you're in zoom it's even worse.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #61 on: Nov 01, 2020, 05:02 PM »
Flx20 has the depth zones in 10 foot increments to 40 an with deep mode x3 can add 60, 90, 120.
I like it for lake trout as often start in 10 to 20 feet an last holes will be 100+ feet deep. I have th 12 degree ducer which is a nice compromise.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Nov 09, 2020, 08:38 AM »
I think my Fl-20 is 15 years old, no problems. I love the dual 9°/19° transducer, wish they still made this transducer.

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Nov 13, 2020, 03:29 PM »
I have had the Double Vision with the FL20 for 7 yrs now, I would never go back to fishing without it. Still on the original battery and although I haven't had it out yet this year I used it last year and it still ran like a top.

Offline Finnt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Nov 26, 2020, 10:07 AM »
FL8 going 22 years and used very hard only cleaned rings once, didn't need it after finding out the battery was toast, the fishing I do it works for me perfectly.  I also have the s-cable for shallow water no need to upgrade. I like simplicity, I do alot of hole hopping to stay on fish

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 01, 2020, 08:02 PM »
My FL-12 has been flawless since day 1, which was about 9-10 years ago.  Same battery too.  Vexilar will be my go-to if that day ever comes where I need a new one.

Offline cavecat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 19, 2020, 12:25 AM »
FL8 SLT: 25 years with zero problems or repairs.

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 19, 2020, 07:53 AM »
My Fl-12 is at least 10 yrs old and never had any issues and still has the same battery. I never leave without it even have used in my boat. I do keep the battery charged all yr.  Well now that I am bragging about it I most likely will need a new battery ?? but I won't complain.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 19, 2020, 08:02 AM »
It has been brought to my attention that "several old timers" have cashed in their Vexilars this year because they have "crapped out" on them after 5-7 years of use/ownership. My first FL-8 was 12 years old and still going strong when I sold it. What say you fellow Vex owners...boom or bust?
I am an “old timer” and have always used Vex’s. Not 1 has failed me. I say “BOOM”!!

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 19, 2020, 09:19 AM »
How do you qualify as an old timer ?? ( just curios ) I am 71 yrs old and have been fishing straight down since I got off active duty in1971 well before electronics. I can't wait to get on the ice again this yr. with my vex. it;s my favorite time of the season and I hope to be out there as long as possible God willing.       

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #70 on: Dec 19, 2020, 01:18 PM »
How do you qualify as an old timer ?? ( just curios ) I am 71 yrs old and have been fishing straight down since I got off active duty in1971 well before electronics. I can't wait to get on the ice again this yr. with my vex. it;s my favorite time of the season and I hope to be out there as long as possible God willing.       
Been ice fishing for nearly 70 years and have outlived most of my fishing buddies. I would think that would qualify me for the old geezer club. Been using Vexilars since it said Micronar on them.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Dec 22, 2020, 06:28 PM »
I still have a Micronar FL-8......And a SiTex FL-8.......

both prior manufacturers before Vexilar bought them out.     Don’t recall which came first. 

Units  identical

45 plus years old

Both run strong.     Gotta keep the motor shaft clean and lightly lubed in very cold temps

I am able to see a tungsten dot with both units. 

Gets the job done

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #72 on: Dec 22, 2020, 06:46 PM »
I still have a Micronar FL-8......And a SiTex FL-8.......

both prior manufacturers before Vexilar bought them out.     Don’t recall which came first. 

Units  identical

45 plus years old

Both run strong.     Gotta keep the motor shaft clean and lightly lubed in very cold temps

I am able to see a tungsten dot with both units. 

Gets the job done
My son used his Micronar FL 8 when we fished today.  ;D

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Dec 22, 2020, 07:04 PM »
Knew i had a photo somewhere

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Dec 23, 2020, 03:04 AM »
I still use a si-tex sh-1 and a si-tex FL-3 here the FL-18 takes a turn once in a while.

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 23, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Ice Dawg, that's really grate I hope I can say the same thing some day (fishing almost 70 yrs) not many can say that. I hope you have many more to come.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #76 on: Dec 23, 2020, 09:57 AM »
Ice Dawg, that's really grate I hope I can say the same thing some day (fishing almost 70 yrs) not many can say that. I hope you have many more to come.
Thanks  it just takes a little longer to do things as time goes on. I spent 8 hrs on a bucket yesterday. Next time I'll bring a chair.  ;D

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 23, 2020, 10:28 AM »
I have had a hard to find FL-22 for the last several years which I purchased brand new the year that vexilar released them. It was the first HD version to be released by vexilar and unless I am mistaken it is the first vexilar model to come standard with the tri beam transducer. I believe the other two newer models being the FL-28 and brand new fl-30 come with the same transducer. Truth be known, I have not seen a fl-22 offered for resale on any internet resource. Both of those newer models have a digital screen where mine is not. I have said it before and I'll say it again. If by chance I happen to leave my house to head fishing and discover I have left without my vex, I'll return home to get it. Other then when I dropped it from about 5 feet something like 3 weeks after buying it, it has been bullet proof. I fed ex'd it to vexilar, spoke with the repair tech on the phone who could tell it had been dropped but felt sorry for me and repaired it under a warranty claim anyhow and fed ex'd it back to me. I placed a prepaid label in the box when I sent it to them.

My input only, but I am skeptical that I would buy a unit that doesn't have the feature of displaying the bottom 6 feet of water. I on occasion find fish suspended, but more often then not when the bite happens, it comes straight off of the bottom of the body of water. More often than not if I get a hit that screams in from the side of the screen a few feet off of the bottom it ends up being a trout.

Good luck with your decision making process.

Tight lines and stay safe.

GF hardwater Guy

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Dec 23, 2020, 11:22 AM »
I have had a hard to find FL-22 for the last several years which I purchased brand new the year that vexilar released them. It was the first HD version to be released by vexilar and unless I am mistaken it is the first vexilar model to come standard with the tri beam transducer. I believe the other two newer models being the FL-28 and brand new fl-30 come with the same transducer. Truth be known, I have not seen a fl-22 offered for resale on any internet resource. Both of those newer models have a digital screen where mine is not. I have said it before and I'll say it again. If by chance I happen to leave my house to head fishing and discover I have left without my vex, I'll return home to get it. Other then when I dropped it from about 5 feet something like 3 weeks after buying it, it has been bullet proof. I fed ex'd it to vexilar, spoke with the repair tech on the phone who could tell it had been dropped but felt sorry for me and repaired it under a warranty claim anyhow and fed ex'd it back to me. I placed a prepaid label in the box when I sent it to them.

My input only, but I am skeptical that I would buy a unit that doesn't have the feature of displaying the bottom 6 feet of water. I on occasion find fish suspended, but more often then not when the bite happens, it comes straight off of the bottom of the body of water. More often than not if I get a hit that screams in from the side of the screen a few feet off of the bottom it ends up being a trout.

Good luck with your decision making process.

Tight lines and stay safe.

GF hardwater Guy

I believe the FL22 only goes to 60' deep?

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:40 PM »
Marcum.  Sorry I had to ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #80 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:43 PM »
lol It was only a matter of time. ;D

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #81 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:54 PM »
I believe the FL22 only goes to 60' deep?
yes but its a great shallow water flasher because it can use the full screen up to 60 with the depth settings it has.i got one on a super sale a few years back.most lakes around here are 30ish ft max.i running a tri beam on it.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 23, 2020, 12:58 PM »
yes but its a great shallow water flasher because it can use the full screen up to 60 with the depth settings it has.i got one on a super sale a few years back.most lakes around here are 30ish ft max.i running a tri beam on it.

Right tool for the job @)   ....  i fish up to about 110' regularly so it wouldn't work for me. I said it before but I actually like the FL18 better than my 20 when i get over 80' of depth.

Offline Cali009

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 23, 2020, 06:15 PM »
I have a older FL8.  it is making a loud humming sound.   does anyone know what that means? 
best long underwear on the planet

!* AIRBLASTER *!

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 23, 2020, 06:21 PM »
I have a older FL8.  it is making a loud humming sound.   does anyone know what that means?
that just means the power is on! 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #85 on: Dec 24, 2020, 02:06 AM »

It means get ready fish are coming.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #86 on: Dec 24, 2020, 02:11 AM »

The FL22HD is a very nice unit. With 10ft increments it uses more of the screen in shallow water. So much nicer then the 20ft settings on the FL18 & 20. No need to use zoom then.

I believe it was dis continued when the FLX28 came out. Since in auto setting it can do the shallow increments and adjust the dial.

I do absolutley like my Vexilars.......not if they would just make a dual or tribeam again.

Offline gf hardwater guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Dec 24, 2020, 10:14 AM »
Ship of Fools, you are correct. the FL-22 does only go to 60 feet. It has never been a problem for me since I've owned it because I rarely fish in excess of 50 feet of water and prefer to stay in that 30 foot range if I can because it helps with the ones I don't keep survive a trip back down the hole. The whole fish Bends thing happens at least here in Montana when we hook fish in excess of 33 feet. Hard to keep their stomach where it belongs in deeper water than that. I don't know how deep of water the 28 and 30 will handle. I need to ask my brother because he had to one up me and bought the 28 when it came out.

Anyhow, tight lines and stay safe. Happiest of Holidays to all.   

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #88 on: Dec 24, 2020, 10:54 AM »

My FL18 makes some noises ..before it warms up ...after long run times/battery weakening ..but wound not describe it as a humming . I would think age and/or dirt may be the culprit . Fire off an Email to Vexilar ...they have brush kits ..also some Youtube vids are quite helpful
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #89 on: Dec 26, 2020, 06:48 PM »
FL12 and its at least 8yrs old.

I dont use it much anymore but it starts every time. I consider it to be very reliable and i didnt baby it.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.