Author Topic: WhichTracked Snowblower to Tow Icefishing toboggan?  (Read 5741 times)

Offline fundseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
WhichTracked Snowblower to Tow Icefishing toboggan?
« on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:39 AM »
Has anyone fabricated a snow cat from a tracked snowblower to tow themselves and gear ? I've seen a couple on you tube with the blower section removed.  I'm looking for advice on which make/models to look for that might have the best qualities for this purpose.Fastest forward gear, best flotation on snow and traction , steering capability, possibly full handle bar instead of individual grips ( saw that on an older Craftsman) . Heavy duty Hydrostatic or other drive system . I thought I might get away with a $400 purchase instead of a $4,000 Cdn. Snow Dog . ( Don't really want to get into snowmobiles again) Thanks!

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: WhichTracked Snowblower to Tow Icefishing toboggan?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:03 AM »
I'm thinking that blowers all use the rubber friction wheel for the drive.  Easiest way to get multiple fwd and reverse speeds.  Towed a VW a short distance once with my old John Deere 7/26 just to see. Would be an interesting project. I could see something with a garden tractor trans for more positive drive.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2018, 10:18 AM »
I wonder if this would get around the no motorized vehicle law in PA. if you are just using it to pull the sled and walking behind it, it is not considered a vehicle right?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2018, 12:47 PM »
I've seen a few old Craftsman tracked snowblowers pop on craigslist, but people want $300-400 for them......I'd be interested in the project if I can source one for around $100.....drop the blower and attach a sled.....there are some youtube videos of it I've seen......hope someone has more info....

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2018, 01:08 PM »
Where's the FISH?!

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:57 PM »
That blower/tractor is sweet. Seat of the pants engineering at it's finest.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2018, 06:35 PM »
Ok, lets do that in a foot or more of snow, sliding around in a bare parking lot does not convince me.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:54 PM »
Prob more practical than that auger engine powered go cart.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.