New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing on canadarago lake  (Read 82737 times)

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
Re: fishing on canadarago lake
« Reply #360 on: Feb 19, 2012, 03:46 PM »
sounds like you are getting around better with out that brace kowboy. going to check with snagger about going up to the river this week.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #361 on: Feb 19, 2012, 04:04 PM »
Beautiful day on my Cando today!  Fished south of the Island a ways.  Lots of guys on the lake, but plenty of room near me.  Fishe with Dad, Mrs. System, and BigJim223.  Bald Eagle flying round us in the sun. Also, BigJim finally taught me the meaning of Ice Trolling!  You should have seen him, sitting in his Clam just like normal, holding his ice rod, as I towed him down the lake at 30mph!  Action was steady all day long and had some really outstanding fish.  The Mrs. even caught a 10" Fall Fish/shiner!  Here's a pic of two 12"+ perch we got.  Best of all, we got one FAT MAMMA measured 13.5 with a tape and was fatter than a bass!  She  got put back so let's let her breed!

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #362 on: Feb 19, 2012, 05:58 PM »
Forgot all about getting the "Ice Trolling" pictures! What a hoot! Thanks for the ride out and back, would have been a tough 5 mile walk!
  There were some nice perch caught out there today, though not by me. The tipups seemed to be the ticket as all I jigged was dinks.
Here's a picture of the 13.5 though it really doesn't do it justice. That was a NICE perch! Glad you let it go.

The bald eagle was a rush too. Ward fed it a perch, that is where it was coming from when we saw it. He threw it to the bird.
  Oh, a lesson was learned by me today- Never call a game warden "Dude"! Especially when his dog's name is Dude! What an arrogant public employee! He needs to have a couple sessions working on his "Lakeside Manners", just my opinion.

BIGJim223

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #363 on: Feb 19, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Wardy was near us??  I didn't even hear his loud mouth!  How was his catch?

I think Officer Dude would enjoy more angler cooperation if he was a little less stiff!  No idea why DEC says angler/hunter cooperation is low!

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #364 on: Feb 19, 2012, 06:50 PM »
Nice fish system, what was dec name zumullen? I never seen him at the launch even though i was only there for a few hrs

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #365 on: Feb 19, 2012, 06:51 PM »
I thought he was right next to us. I heard him a couple times and mentioned it to your pop. Those guys didn't even notice the CO when he was with us, he hassled them about their 4 wheeler, I guess. He (CO) was parked directly behind me when I left the lake. I had to move my truck to put down my tailgate to load up! I guess his attitude just comes with the job. I am sure he gets just as much as he gives. I had no problem, I knew I was legal. If you don't keep 'em (catch 'em!) you can't be over the 25 limit!

BIGJim223

Offline Floatman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #366 on: Feb 19, 2012, 06:52 PM »
System...Nice perch!  I applaud your releases.  Every fish that size that my buddy and I have caught this year on Cando we put back.  Those big spawners are precious.  I wish that everyone fishing Cando would get into catch and release for bass.  According to fisheries biologists, as the bass population goes so goes the quality panfishing. 

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #367 on: Feb 19, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Nice fish system, what was dec name zumullen? I never seen him at the launch even though i was only there for a few hrs

Yes, something like that. He lives in RS. He did put on a lot of miles today, I'll give him that.

BIGJim223

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #368 on: Feb 19, 2012, 07:03 PM »
i had a camp on cand near the lake house, and put back every bass i ever caught! and i used to rock em hard ! walleyes i kept though! :)

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #369 on: Feb 19, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Not sure of his name.  Plenty respectful and polite, but a bit off putting at first.  As BigJim said, I'm sure he gets a lot of attitude and thats why he's a little gruff.  But heck, I'm a Utica teacher - you think I don't get attitude???

Floatman, I'm glad to hear about another c&r guy!  There's lots of meduim sized perch to eat, let the fatties swim!  BigJIm said it right - why keep that monster breeder just for a 15 minute meal??  There's millions of eater sized 9-11 out there.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #370 on: Feb 19, 2012, 07:07 PM »
So that's why there's no walleyes left!??

Offline arcticicejigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #371 on: Feb 19, 2012, 07:18 PM »
well, i dont think i kept that many! lol!

Offline Esoxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Certified Bait is ridiclus
« Reply #372 on: Feb 19, 2012, 09:02 PM »
System nice pics hey I worked selling Yuengling for years now Iam a beer buyer for a small independent groc chain told u best week off to fish be up weds am
Ice Fish only, stricly targeting Esox lucius and Masquinongy, everything else is just bait.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #373 on: Feb 20, 2012, 06:23 AM »
of everything in that picture you noticed my beer can?? shoot me a pm tues night and we'll make a plan for wed

tightwad

« Reply #374 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:39 AM »
Its nice to here that some people give back to the fisheries that we love so much I wish more people would C/R more often.It would make fishing more pleasurable for others not so much for canadarago but all of our NYS lakes. tightwad

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #375 on: Feb 20, 2012, 09:57 AM »
if that was his name i know him he use to b a corrections officer. my first experiance with him wasnt that good as he cameup behind me in my shanty and told me to open the back door i didnt know who he was so i told him to go around to the front, that didnt go well lol, but after talking to him for awhile and seeing him everyday coming off otsego he isnt to bad aguy.

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #376 on: Feb 20, 2012, 10:03 AM »
system any news yet on the gear

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #377 on: Feb 20, 2012, 06:01 PM »
SLOOOOOOW day on the Cando today!  Fished the north end and the sunken isl - very very slow.  Heck of a nice sunny day though!  Best catches of the day included a 24" sucker - what a fighter! and this Massive walleye!  others included some dink perch.  Quite a piece of humble pie from yesterday!  Oh well, I got a nice set of Ice Shanty stickers in my truck from a friend, thanks!  Will be at the other end of the lake tomorrow - variety is the spice of life!
I finally found the walleyes on Cando!!!!

Walleye King of Cando!!

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #378 on: Feb 20, 2012, 06:37 PM »
me and the girlfriend did pulled off adouble catching perch as u can c lol. system ive caught alot of them that size this yr its got to b some of the 40 thousand that they put in the lake

Offline Rob Hyer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • In search of Brook Trout
« Reply #379 on: Feb 20, 2012, 06:37 PM »
Slow day out out there today. I fished around the state launch hand bakers bay and managed 6 perch, 2 over 12 inches. I lost a nice walleye right at the hole fishing in about 12-14 fow. All of my fish except 1 perch came while jigging. Will anyone be out there tomorrow? Im thinkin about fishing before my afternoon class.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #380 on: Feb 20, 2012, 07:19 PM »
Nice Kowboy - we gotta meet up sometime on the ice -especially with the women around.  I'm glad to see that some of those stockies are still around, I know predator fishing usually picks right around the time/location that DEC dumps them in the lake. 

Rob - Glad to hear about the walleye - wish you had it on the ice, but maybe I'll get it for ya!  I'll be out fishing the bay north east of the island tomorrow with some of the womenfolk, big gray shappell 4000 shanty, blue polaris sled, stop on by!  Mostly dinks there though. 

Offline Karas3434

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #381 on: Feb 21, 2012, 12:21 AM »
Thinking about heading up this weekend, hows the fishing been? I fished here outta the boat a few times this fall but never through the ice. Where abouts do you launch to get onto the lake (the boat launch)? Always had good luck in the boat around the "sunken island" same go for through the ice?. Any advice would be much appreciated! ;D

Enough ice to bring the snowmobile with me?

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #382 on: Feb 21, 2012, 07:02 AM »
Karas3434:  If you are fishing the sunken island, park at Bakers Beach 1 mile north of the boat launch. Ice is great, no problem with a snomobile/ATV.
Good luck!

BIGJim223

Offline Karas3434

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #383 on: Feb 21, 2012, 10:40 AM »
Last time i was up there the beach was gated off so i wasnt sure if you could launch from there... Thanks for the heads up! Hows the fishing been? Heard stories of ppl getting alot of "dink" perch with the occasional keeper mixed in. Honestly after a couple long days on Oneida/Delta with less than 5 fish being caught total for an 8-10 hour day, some action would be nice.

Offline the piker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #384 on: Feb 21, 2012, 05:05 PM »
bad day a few keepers

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #385 on: Feb 21, 2012, 05:10 PM »
bad day a few keepers
you will not b bored catching dink peerch and it doesnt matter where u go, u got to pick thru them to get the nicer ones if u can get thru them

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #386 on: Feb 21, 2012, 05:50 PM »
very busy day today on cando.  thousands of perch, most under 6", several over 11".  One 12" fall fish@!  Had a 14" perch eyeballin my lure, no go though - i gave her too much time to think it over.  better fish in deeper water.  windy!  Will be out there tomorrow, come find me!

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #387 on: Feb 21, 2012, 06:03 PM »
system might go with the gf on thursday as she has off cant do tomarrow as have many appts

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #388 on: Feb 21, 2012, 06:07 PM »
kowboy let me know if you are going out Thursday. May make a run over.
 How are things working out for your mother?

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #389 on: Feb 21, 2012, 07:59 PM »
Roger that Kowboy, put up a post sometime thurs morn about a possible location/shelter I'll come find ya.  Blue polaris snowmobile IF we still have snow by then, raining now. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.