New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: fishing on canadarago lake  (Read 82738 times)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: fishing on canadarago lake
« Reply #180 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:44 PM »
One of the biggest predators of young of the year perch is adult perch.  Wonder if maybe the numbers of adults has been reduced?  Shouldn't the alewives be feeding on the perch fry like they do walleye fry?   

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #181 on: Jan 23, 2012, 02:54 PM »
you would think that the alewives would eat the smallest perch fry like they supposedly do to the walleye.  I have been keeping my eyes open for live specimens to examine, but I've never been able to jig any up, despite the fact that I can regularly find schools of them over the deep water on my sonar.  Anybody have suggestions for catching alewives?

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #182 on: Jan 23, 2012, 03:52 PM »
you would think that the alewives would eat the smallest perch fry like they supposedly do to the walleye.  I have been keeping my eyes open for live specimens to examine, but I've never been able to jig any up, despite the fact that I can regularly find schools of them over the deep water on my sonar.  Anybody have suggestions for catching alewives?
just use lures that resemble a small alewive, like a small chrome  kastmaster or  swedish pimple and it the bait are showing on your finder , jig and keep jigging. Some lks. Ifish have so many alewive , it is possible to snag them random jigging under the ice if you see them just below the hole. Another good sign for a lot of alewive bait below is when you do land a fish, they spit them out,, giving you a size to match the hatch sortta speak

Offline BCSHANTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #183 on: Jan 23, 2012, 09:34 PM »
Yeah guys, please don't think im trying to know it all, just my observation over the years.

Im sure there are many other factors in play.

Good point on the pickerel BigJim

as I said in the otsego post a while back, Alewife are an awesome bait. think about it,  they become abundant in short order, they offer more caloric energy than daphnia or scud, they have no spines, and fish love em. I have watched this happen in the finger lakes and it makes big fish.

Maybe time to go back to a #3 nickel pimple, castmaster, holograph bullet spoon, or do-jigger
have to agree with lyk2fish, alewives are abundant in most of the nyc reservoir system and they produce some of the biggest trout and bass in the region

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #184 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:40 AM »
BC- Didn't I fish with you and jaeger61 over on Otsego last year??   I agree, the 'wives will ultimately lead to well fed fish, but they are a non-native invader that has had profound effects on Canadarago's smallish ecosystem.   There aren't all that many walleye in Cando, and the schools of 'wives I see number in the millions, I can't imagine how many walleye fry each school must eat...

Offline bmac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #185 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:59 AM »
Where can I get minnows near the lake?

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #186 on: Jan 24, 2012, 06:41 AM »
I agree, the 'wives will ultimately lead to well fed fish, but they are a non-native invader that has had profound effects on Canadarago's smallish ecosystem.   

They also cause a thiamine deficiency in some fish, specifically salmonids, which hinders their natural reproduction and can cause early mortality.  Sure, the fish usually grow fast while eating alewives, but they die younger and can no longer support populations in many places!  They have profound effects even in the Great Lakes.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline G.Warner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #187 on: Jan 24, 2012, 07:48 AM »
Looking for an update on the ice. Very warm out today.Will head out Wed am thanks

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:25 AM »
Crazy light looking out from my window.. it is exceptionally bright haze ans suspect these warm rays are from this Solar event.  Yes speaking of invasives, I jigged zebra mussels off the bottom of Canadaroga so wonder what is going on with that invasive these days and what impact are they having on the native aquatics?

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #189 on: Jan 24, 2012, 08:55 AM »
Crazy light looking out from my window.. it is exceptionally bright haze ans suspect these warm rays are from this Solar event.  Yes speaking of invasives, I jigged zebra mussels off the bottom of Canadaroga so wonder what is going on with that invasive these days and what impact are they having on the native aquatics?

Considering that many species in Canadarago Lake are not native (alewife, carp, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, walleye, zebra mussels), I would say that the impact on native species is pretty high.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline perchfilet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #190 on: Jan 24, 2012, 01:41 PM »
Was on Canadarago today. About  an inch of water on top of the ice, need creepers. Saw a three wheeler go out form the boat launch area ( haven't
seen a three wheeler in a while) Fished out about a quarter mile from the launch and caught all the "dinks" you could want.

Offline DoubleG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #191 on: Jan 24, 2012, 03:39 PM »
How many inches of ice was there?  I plan on heading up in the morning.

Thanks!

GG
MarCum * Vex * Strikemaster * Clam * Cabelas Underwater Cam

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #192 on: Jan 24, 2012, 03:47 PM »
Was on Canadarago today. About  an inch of water on top of the ice, need creepers. Saw a three wheeler go out form the boat launch area ( haven't
seen a three wheeler in a while) Fished out about a quarter mile from the launch and caught all the "dinks" you could want.
i love those dinks,eat them all the time,this helps the others get big,and me too.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #193 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:24 PM »
I haven't been on the lake today, but sunday had 6" of good ice, I'd safely bet on 5" still today

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #194 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:45 PM »
I haven't been on the lake today, but sunday had 6" of good ice, I'd safely bet on 5" still today

Ward told me 7" with an inch of water on top. Very slippery! Below freezing here now, 29 degrees, my side walk is as slippery as the lake! The ice should be fine, I would think.

BIGJim223

Offline DoubleG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #195 on: Jan 24, 2012, 05:10 PM »
Thanks guys!  I will be out sometime tomorrow morning.  I will report on the ice after I drill a few holes.

GG

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #196 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:47 AM »
Did some fishing on the lake yesterday ice was Good had some water on it need ice cleats..have to watch old holes water and wind cut like a drain hole on Monday  6 in holes  were 12 in holes in 24 hrs. Nice lake to fish came up from  PA.   Need cold weather or ice may get Unsafe safe even with 5 in of clear ice wind and water on top will cut more than you think be safe and tight lines.
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline huntrdv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #197 on: Jan 25, 2012, 12:13 PM »
Fished yesterday the 24th. Caught a lot of dinks and a few 10" plus perch. Measured 8" of ice just before leaving at 4 pm. 

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #198 on: Jan 25, 2012, 02:04 PM »
walked out this afternoon saw 6" of solid glare ice.  cold ,damp, and windy.  some spots showed a thin layer of water under about 1" of ice.

Offline DoubleG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #199 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Fished just north of the boat ramp, ice was ok, caught 40-50 perch mostly small with a few over 10", all released.

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #200 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:29 AM »
DG - thanks for the C&R!

Offline bahfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #201 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:00 PM »
Nice talking to you Frozen fingers. I ended up with 11 keepers. Hope to see you out there again

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #202 on: Jan 27, 2012, 06:32 PM »
went out today - had to cross a few feet of open water to get to the good ice!  "good ice" had 2" of moving water on it - there were actually small waves blowing across the lake!  very windy and damp - I'll be at the sportsman sow tomorrow instead of on the ice---sucks, but better than riding the couch!

Offline northernmaddness

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #203 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:08 PM »
that does suck. lookin to go up sunday. hopefully the conditions get a little better

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #204 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:11 PM »
too warm everywhere, oh well, maybe February ::)

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #205 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:51 PM »
Anybody see esoxman tell him he better head north.
Mr.Esox

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #206 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:07 PM »
I will report ice conditions from saturday PM, to help you guys out for sunday.  I do not advise Saturday on the cando!

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #207 on: Jan 27, 2012, 08:21 PM »
hey system my buddy double g was up on wednesday .im looking to come up on monday or  tuesday hopefully everything locks up again.
Please give me a report thanks !

Offline perchpopper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #208 on: Jan 27, 2012, 09:05 PM »
 :tipup:  Be very careful out there , especially with the run off going into the lake and also watch for previously drilled holes , there were some 10'' holes by Bakers beach yesterday which are most likely larger today . Years ago my son went in up to his waist when the hole got covered with snow , not fun!!
Morning sun rising, a hot cup of coffee and flags a flyin , priceless!!

Offline quailman2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #209 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:03 AM »
are there any bait shops by the lake could someone possibly give me a name to one and phone number thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.