The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 6" Nils and Drill not working!  (Read 8228 times)

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 6" Nils and Drill not working!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2019, 02:29 PM »
X2 and I am a long time Nils user.  I have spent less $$$ on my 8" Nils (w/ M18 for power, was IceGator head), maintenance wise, than most spend on blades for their augers.
Don't get mewrong, there is a place for all augers and we, as users, get to make that decision.

I agree, PM Frank (Sharp Nils, on this site) and see what he has to say; everyone else is just guessing at what your problem might be.

How often do you send out your blade to be sharpened? and do you have a spare? How much did it cost?

Offline Jakemanges123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:21 PM »
Your pressing down too hard!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #32 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:25 PM »
How often do you send out your blade to be sharpened? and do you have a spare? How much did it cost?
I've had 2 - 8" heads for 9 years.  Each of them has been in for sharpening once.  I will send one back after this season (unless I hit something in the ice).  I never redrill an old hole.
Shrp Nils, on here, can answer your question about how much he is currently charging.  It will be his fee plus shipping, both ways.

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:46 PM »
  This is the second time I'm sending this head to get sharpened.. I'm only doing it to see if this is the problem I had with the drill..  AS Fishforpike said it's $20 plus shipping both ways. It's well worth it when you see the price of a new head.. Frank returns it the same day he recieves it. I do have a spare!

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:43 AM »
I just shipped mine and it was $20 and $9. 85 Priority mail.  Clerk said prices are going up for all Postal items so you better ship now!!! ;D

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2019, 11:53 AM »
I've had 2 - 8" heads for 9 years.  Each of them has been in for sharpening once.  I will send one back after this season (unless I hit something in the ice).  I never redrill an old hole.
Shrp Nils, on here, can answer your question about how much he is currently charging.  It will be his fee plus shipping, both ways.

IDK how you do it, mine wouldn't cut anymore after half a season (with multiple people using it).  So that is around 160 bucks for the extra head and sharpening for the past 9 years, not bad.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:38 PM »
(with multiple people using it). 

That could be a major problem right there.... ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2019, 12:51 PM »
That could be a major problem right there.... ;)
Likely correct!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:15 PM »

If someone needs holes I cut them
I learned the hard way never again , I average about every 5 years

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2019, 01:27 PM »
If someone needs holes I cut them
I learned the hard way never again , I average about every 5 years

Everyone who used it was experienced, but I know what you mean. I don't like to baby my gear so nils is a no go for me. So far I'm at 3 seasons on chipper blades and really like the low maintenance.

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2019, 06:16 AM »
   The blade needs service which includes adjustment with sharpening.   
Just for clarification, set the drill to speed 1 in drill mode.  I ease into the trigger till the blade has made its initial bite then full trigger till the hole is complete and no feathering.  The transition is probably less then a second.  At some point in time the blade when the dulls or dinged its not going to start a hole.  I just like anyone else is going to put down pressure and that isn't going to hurt anything. If you need to do that, apply the pressure throughout the hole.
 Its an indication the blade isn't cutting 100% so send it in or keep using it till it no longer cuts.  If you really need to lean on it your going to put more of a load on the drill then you should be.   Could you bend the blades, yes but I'll adjust that when the blade is here.  Bend the mount on any other auger and it'll stay that way.

Right now my ice conditions are 12" of wet ice, 4" layer water, 3" frozen slush on top.   After breaking through the 3" frozen layer its like drilling through 12" of mush.  Eventually that'll all freeze tight but for now you don't get that satisfying feeling like you do with dry ice chips coming up as the Nils bores down on its own.  If you can drill a hole in those wet conditions thats good enough.

Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2019, 08:04 AM »
Thanks Frank! You made me feel better! I hope it is a case of the head needing sharpening. I  mailed it out on Thur.. Good Luck with it. I have a new spare but haven't been able to get out and try it! :)

Offline wildlifer100

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:13 PM »
  I have a Rigid 18 volt 1300 lb. torque drill. I've put my new blade on but haven't been able to try it. I'm sending my other one to Frank and just waiting for his response to see what I have to do.

Ice Chipper I work in Schenectady.  I can sharpen it for you if you would like.  Buy a speedy sharp. I use it to sharpen my nils all the time. 

Offline tjk3rd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:28 PM »
I just received an 8" Nils for Christmas so I am new to this auger.  I use a Ridgid 18 amp for power.  On the first few holes I experienced the same problem and everything was brand new.  It seems that unless the auger is exactly perpendicular to the ice it jumps around.  When I focus on keeping the auger straight it cuts like butter.  I have only cut 25 - 30 holes through 7 - 8" of hard black ice but so far I love it.

Offline Vine Valley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:51 PM »
I have a NILS & I love it.
The key in preventing bouncing is that you must drill at a SLOW speed.
If the drill is going too fast the auger will bounce.
Nice slow speed and it cuts ice like you're cutting butter.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:54 AM »
This is the thing with nills instead of just buying blades for 30 bucks you have to troubleshoot the thing. Seems like a pain for a large drill bit. Or buy a new head for 100 bucks. No thanks.

Have not had to do any of those things.  Auger is about ten years old and it still cuts through ice like a hot knife through butter.  I have never had to have the blade re-sharpened.  I treat it well and it treats me even better.
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline VanderLaan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:59 AM »
Everyone who used it was experienced, but I know what you mean. I don't like to baby my gear so nils is a no go for me. So far I'm at 3 seasons on chipper blades and really like the low maintenance.

I let my buddy use my Nils once.  After he pulled the auger out of the hole and then slammed it on the ice (to knock off the ice and water), I told him that he would have to use his auger from now on.   ;D
The test of man is not how how far he will go to win, but how far he will go when he has already lost.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #47 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:10 AM »
I got 2 heads from the 80s that have been touched up , one 4 times the other 5 , but I only average 4 days a week for 3 months sometimes 3.5 ice permitting, and if someone needs holes I drill them , I made that mistake just once letting someone use it 😡

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #48 on: Jan 31, 2019, 08:29 AM »
LP, maybe a spud would be your best bet for making holes in the ice.  ::)

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 31, 2019, 04:29 PM »
Apparently the blade on my Nils did need sharpening. Since FRANK D. sharpened it it cuts like butter and digs right in. The drill and auger is the way to go.  Can Wildlifer post a video on how to sharpen a Nils, I'm sure a lot of people would like to know how. I got to find out what a Speedy sharp is! Thanks

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #50 on: Jan 31, 2019, 04:34 PM »
Apparently the blade on my Nils did need sharpening. Since FRANK D. sharpened it it cuts like butter and digs right in. The drill and auger is the way to go.  Can Wildlifer post a video on how to sharpen a Nils, I'm sure a lot of people would like to know how. I got to find out what a Speedy sharp is! Thanks
Look on Amazon.  It's likely the next best thing to a a vehicle that runs on water.  ;)

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 31, 2019, 05:05 PM »
Speedy Sharp? Really? Those things are handy for tuning up the edge on garden tools like a hoe or an axe but for precision sharpening where the bevel angle is so critical, my

considered judgment would be that you're just guaranteed to ruin an expensive Nils head and real quickly. You just can't freehand that Nils edge.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #52 on: Jan 31, 2019, 05:48 PM »
Speedy Sharp? Really? Those things are handy for tuning up the edge on garden tools like a hoe or an axe but for precision sharpening where the bevel angle is so critical, my

considered judgment would be that you're just guaranteed to ruin an expensive Nils head and real quickly. You just can't freehand that Nils edge.
Some folks seem to think it's worth a try! LOL.

Offline Ice Chipper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 31, 2019, 06:39 PM »
It seems like it's a hidden secret on how to sharpen a Nils. If we ever lose FRANK D. were really going to be in trouble. Why is it such a secret?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #54 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:01 PM »
Not a secret, knowhow and tools.  There are other "authorized" shops for Nils.  And I'm sure there are other with the right tools and the ability.

Offline Vine Valley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 31, 2019, 07:42 PM »
My friends have made the mistake of trying to sharpen their own augers without the proper know how. Their augers ended up even duller. Personally I would rather pay to have it sharpen correctly than to experiment and to end up with a dull auger. The ice fishing season is too short to have a dull auger ruin your day. I always have sharp spare blades for all my augers. I have different sized augers for the various fish I pursue. I have a gas Strike Master with 2 different drill heads but it doesn't compare to my NILS run by my DeWalt drill. I never let anyone use my augers. I'll gladly drill them holes myself.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:34 PM »
I have a little side business sharpening everything from bandsaws to knives to mower blades. When it comes to ice augers the only thing I'll try with a Nils is touching a slightly dull head with a kitchen steel. It works if the bit has not been abused or is very dull. I won't touch a Nils with a stone or grinder but the steel can extend the time between sharpenings by Frank.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:08 AM »
Not a secret, knowhow and tools.  There are other "authorized" shops for Nils.  And I'm sure there are other with the right tools and the ability.

Someone should film frank doing it then.  Where does the knowhow come from? Trial and error?

Offline belowzero

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Someone should film frank doing it then.  Where does the knowhow come from? Trial and error?
I think it would be more of a safety issue then a secret. I am almost certain that he's doing it on the grinder and my guess is freehand. I sharp my own blades including nils and I would not share this information with anyone in fear of someone being hurt.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:22 PM »
I remember correctly there was special jig for the Nils blade that he uses. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.