Author Topic: Storing Ice Flasher  (Read 2788 times)

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
Storing Ice Flasher
« on: Mar 18, 2019, 08:29 AM »
This season was my first year with an ice flasher.  Humminbird Ice 35.  It worked great.  However, I won't be able to get out on the ice any more this season...

Now I need to store it.  How do you guys store the battery for this thing?  Do you have it on a trickle charger all spring/summer/fall?

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Storing Ice Flasher
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:01 AM »
My Ion manual says to fill the battery before putting it away and top it up after a period of time (I think it's 3 or 6 months but can't remember off the top of my head). I store all that stuff together so when I top off the Ion, I do the same with my 35.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:17 AM »
I charge my battery and disconnect it from the head unit. I charge it again every month or two. Using a float charger is ok, but I won't leave one connected and plugged in because I believe they could be a fire hazard. Maybe it's just me, but I also unplug heating pads when not in use.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline MJS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2019, 12:12 PM »
I would also store it in a cool dry area and charge it a few times before next season and you should be fine

Matt

Offline Pheasanttail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2019, 12:17 PM »
I have have had an ice 45 since 2013 and the battery is still good. I do what others have suggested.  Charge it and store somewhere cool and recharge a couple times during the off season.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2019, 03:49 PM »
I would imagine if you topped off the charge every 4-6 months, you'll be good.  I use my flasher on and off all year, so that's not an issue for me.  The Vexilar gets serious kayak duty.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2019, 05:21 AM »
I keep mine hooked up to a Battery Tender Jr. I didn't use the sonar for the last two seasons. I had no problems this year with 8-9 hour days. I've even caught it turning on to bring the charge back after enough self-discharge loss dropped the voltage.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2019, 08:01 AM »
I charge my battery and disconnect it from the head unit. I charge it again every month or two. Using a float charger is ok, but I won't leave one connected and plugged in because I believe they could be a fire hazard. Maybe it's just me, but I also unplug heating pads when not in use.

This the way to go ..add a 3/5 gallon bucket with a lid and stick it on a shelf .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2019, 02:22 PM »
disconnect battery from the unit. charge the battery to full charge. Over time, the battery will discharge. check in September and put on charger if needed. store in cool, dry area.

Offline maximus4444

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2019, 10:07 AM »
Thanks guys.  Good info.

Offline B540glenn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2019, 07:54 PM »
If you have a canoe , kayak or small aluminum boat, bring it along with you.   Keep it charged, and use it.
Glenn

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2019, 04:38 AM »
disconnect battery from the unit. charge the battery to full charge. Over time, the battery will discharge. check in September and put on charger if needed. store in cool, dry area.
X2

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2019, 11:05 PM »
If you have a canoe , kayak or small aluminum boat, bring it along with you.   Keep it charged, and use it.
+1
Year round use with it if you can. get the most out of your money.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.