Author Topic: twisted line  (Read 2210 times)

chimo

twisted line
« on: Feb 09, 2007, 04:38 PM »
Anyone have any clever ways to un-twist line?  The line on one of my jig poles is getting twisted and I don't know how to get rid of it.  Open water I'd tow it behind the boat or run it down a stream but I'm stumped right now.  appreciate any suggestions.

chimo

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: twisted line
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2007, 06:14 PM »
In the past I've went to a high bridge and left the line out to the bottom with a weight on it and dacron tip up line would untwist. Not sure about mono, but you could try it.

chimo

« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2007, 10:22 PM »
Sounds like a plan.  Can't hurt to try and I've got just the place picked out.  Next time I fish Sayers I'll try it and let you know how it worked.  thanks

chimo

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2007, 07:51 PM »
I just remembered one other way. I used to read the way to straighten leader material was to run in between a piece of intertube rubber. Should work on longer lengths also.

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2007, 03:21 PM »
everytime you retie or break off, let out a little bit of line and whip your rod so it kinda cracks like a bull whip. It works better in the summer with longer rods but I do it with my winter rods too...I dont know how much it really works but I find it to help me quite a bit.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2009, 02:19 PM »
I've got a heavy 1 oz buckshot with a swivel attached to the splitring.  Tie your twisted line to it, drop it into the hole.  I like to pre-stretch the line as I drop it into the hole.  Do this until lure hits bottom and then some more line.  I also pinch the line as I reel it up really slowly.  Sometimes I do this twice just to make sure I don't miss any spots along the line.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline ice 45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2009, 08:10 PM »
I run like a nuber 12 or 14 swivel above my ice jig about 18 inches or so and then my line doesn't get any twist works great

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2009, 02:44 PM »
Tie on a swivel and either get a friend to hold the end, or tie it to a post. Hold the line with a wet sponge or cloth and reel it in under some tension

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.