Author Topic: Issues using k drill  (Read 2359 times)

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
Issues using k drill
« on: Jan 08, 2023, 10:52 AM »
Just wondering if anyone had this issue.  I just bought Milwaukee fuel hammer drill and several 5amp batteries.  I am using a 7.5inch k drill.  Can drill a few holes then ot quits working.  Looking at batteries shows 2 or 3 bars, but will not work.  Can put new battery on drill and drill runs, but if use drill, fries battery.   Thanks Nez

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Issues using k drill
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2023, 10:54 AM »
Specifically what drill (model number) and what settings do you have it on?
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2023, 11:09 AM »
Specifically what drill (model number) and what settings do you have it on?

If your model is not the 2703/2704 or the 2803/2804 or the 2903/2904..itdoes not have the in/lbs of torque required..especially for a K-Drill.

Make sure you slam them batteries home in there slot ... also make sure the selector switch is full pushed in ...and that your drill is in drill mode and speed of one .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline GSP_Pike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That’s why they call it fishing.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2023, 11:35 AM »
I have a similar setup; bought an extra “Milwaukee” battery from eBay. Battery actually a Chinese knockoff which was junk… it would only drill 5-10 holes and almost always stopped several times while drilling. I looked a little closer at the battery and noticed it wasn’t a genuine Milwaukee, contacted seller and wouldn’t respond so I filed return. Bought genuine Milwaukee battery and problem solved.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2023, 11:43 AM »
Are the batteries actually damaged or do they work normally again after a short rest?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2023, 12:26 PM »
It is a 2804 hammer drill.  I have the setting on 1 and using drill feature.  I have ruined 4 batteries now.  2 of them were the cheap batteries and the last 2 today were milwaukee brand.  I can change the batteries out on my other tools and the 5amp batteries don't turn on, but if use a different battery, the drill will run again.  Thinking something is wrong in drill causing batteries to no longer work.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 08, 2023, 12:26 PM »
Batteries don't work again either

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2023, 12:45 PM »
Batteries don't work again either

Well that's fer sure not right. The knock-offs don't surprise me but genuine Milwaukee batteries shouldn't fry like that. I'd say something is wrong with the drill. Give Milwaukee a call and see what they say. (800) 729-3878
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline BassWhacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 08, 2023, 01:17 PM »
How hard are you pushing the auger to drill the hole? Is the drill getting hot?

Offline Fishracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2023, 01:21 PM »
Just wondering if anyone had this issue.  I just bought Milwaukee fuel hammer drill and several 5amp batteries.  I am using a 7.5inch k drill.  Can drill a few holes then ot quits working.  Looking at batteries shows 2 or 3 bars, but will not work.  Can put new battery on drill and drill runs, but if use drill, fries battery.   Thanks Nez
I bought a 2804 and had this same issue i couldn't get more than an inch or two before it cut out i put the same battery in my 2704 and had no problems after that just used the 2804 for my ice anchor bit now not sure why it happened seems others have had no problems maybe a bad batch of drills ?

Offline Fishracks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2023, 01:23 PM »
Also this was with a strikemaster 8" hand auger with adapter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2023, 01:29 PM »
I know some models had some trigger issues for quite some time . Are you able to return/exchange it ? Probably faster then a warrantee repair

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2023, 05:27 PM »
I do not push hard at all.  Just little pressure.   Got this setup thinking would be lighter to carry around compared to ion.  Thinking was a mistake.  Nez

Offline Winds-of-Thor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2023, 06:03 PM »
It is a 2804 hammer drill.  I have the setting on 1 and using drill feature.  I have ruined 4 batteries now.  2 of them were the cheap batteries and the last 2 today were milwaukee brand.  I can change the batteries out on my other tools and the 5amp batteries don't turn on, but if use a different battery, the drill will run again.  Thinking something is wrong in drill causing batteries to no longer work.

Same here. I have a 2804 and it bogs down using an 8” Eskimo Pistol Bit. I’m not forcing it, the drill seems weak.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2023, 08:44 PM »
It does not seem to bog down though.  It will be running OK and then all of a sudden it stops and it won't turn back on.  just really annoying with this.  Nez

Offline Winds-of-Thor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2023, 06:47 AM »
If your model is not the 2703/2704 or the 2803/2804 or the 2903/2904..itdoes not have the in/lbs of torque required..especially for a K-Drill.

Make sure you slam them batteries home in there slot ... also make sure the selector switch is full pushed in ...and that your drill is in drill mode and speed of one .

I made a point of slamming in the battery yesterday and it definitely made a positive difference. I’m thinking the battery must back out a smidge in the sled when I pull it to the spot. Thanks for the tip.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2023, 07:32 AM »
I made a point of slamming in the battery yesterday and it definitely made a positive difference. I’m thinking the battery must back out a smidge in the sled when I pull it to the spot. Thanks for the tip.

Yep I babied my set up at first not slamming them batteries into there slot properly ...I also had some issues with the selector fwd/lock/rev switch that too needs to be in the correct position ..lil bit one way toward lock postistion no good .

For those with the Eskimo Pistol bit..On my set up I chalked it up to not drilling a straight hole it would bind some ...also Eskimo/ION had some bad blades ..my buddies Pistol bit came with an extra set of blades ...his would not cut at all ...swapped the blades out and off to the races ...on my other buddy's ION his was wonky cutting ...but it was end of season on some slushy ice so I wasnt positive what the issue was ...but one call to Eskimo/ION and new blades were on their way ..swapped them out and that too was off to the races. My SM 8" Lite Flite came with bad blades last season ..SM had a recall ...new blades were sent out after making contact. 

Not certain but some folks buying the Pistol Bit maybe getting some old stock with blade issues. Also on the blades you may want to try loosening them up and then seating/tightening them up evenly .

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2023, 08:45 AM »

Not certain but some folks buying the Pistol Bit maybe getting some old stock with blade issues. Also on the blades you may want to try loosening them up and then seating/tightening them up evenly .

I'm pretty sure it was a known issue last year, and that is why they threw in a spare blade set in the box.   

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2023, 08:57 AM »
I'm pretty sure it was a known issue last year, and that is why they threw in a spare blade set in the box.

True ...but how many got delivered to retailers/buyers before the new blades were added..and old stock may still be out there..even now..I seen so many posts on FB where them folks were not hip to the blade issue nd free blade ..and the blade issue on the IONs wasn't a thing .

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2023, 11:05 AM »
I got a new 8" Pistol last year and before I even attempted to drill a hole, I called them to ask if it was affeted by the batch of bad blades.  Gave them my serial number, and they sent out a brand new set.  Tried the set that was on there and they drilled seemingly fine, so now I have a backup set.  If the new blades they sent drill even better than my "bad" blades, I'll be even more impressed.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2023, 11:15 AM »
I got a new 8" Pistol last year and before I even attempted to drill a hole, I called them to ask if it was affeted by the batch of bad blades.  Gave them my serial number, and they sent out a brand new set.  Tried the set that was on there and they drilled seemingly fine, so now I have a backup set.  If the new blades they sent drill even better than my "bad" blades, I'll be even more impressed.

I believe the issues with the blades were the Annealing process ..heard some were better then others ..my buddies Pistol bit would not even dent the ice ..could of drilled better with the cover on

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2023, 11:46 AM »
I believe the issues with the blades were the Annealing process ..heard some were better then others ..my buddies Pistol bit would not even dent the ice ..could of drilled better with the cover on
Interesting, I had no idea what annealing even meant until I just Googled it.  Thanks for the info.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2023, 11:56 AM »
Never had it happen with my M18 stuff but my M12 stuff (mostly the ratchet and cut off wheels) will sometimes stop randomly and the lights start flashing, I just hit the contacts of the tools and batteries with contact cleaner and they're good for a few months before it starts happening again.

I got a pistol bit last year with junk blades out of the box... I sent an email about it and they didn't ask any question other than my shipping address to send new blades, didn't even ask where I got it or how long I had it. They knew they had a problem.

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2023, 12:05 PM »
Interesting, I had no idea what annealing even meant until I just Googled it.  Thanks for the info.

In the future should your Pistol Bit blades need replacing .. the Strikemaster blades are stainless steel .

Never had it happen with my M18 stuff but my M12 stuff (mostly the ratchet and cut off wheels) will sometimes stop randomly and the lights start flashing, I just hit the contacts of the tools and batteries with contact cleaner and they're good for a few months before it starts happening again.

I got a pistol bit last year with junk blades out of the box... I sent an email about it and they didn't ask any question other than my shipping address to send new blades, didn't even ask where I got it or how long I had it. They knew they had a problem.

You may be onto something.. the OP said he used aftermarket/knock off batteries ..In the past I heard about some misaligned connections as well as the malformed slots in those non OEM batteries.   

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2023, 12:17 PM »
In the future should your Pistol Bit blades need replacing .. the Strikemaster blades are stainless steel .

You may be onto something.. the OP said he used aftermarket/knock off batteries ..In the past I heard about some misaligned connections as well as the malformed slots in those non OEM batteries.

I assume the tools are monitoring amperage draw... Poor connections add a ton of resistance to a circuit. I never really worried about as my tools are being used hard on the daily in an auto shop, probably to the extent of abuse lol.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2023, 01:02 PM »
Something with the K-Drills, they have a suggested RPM. It should be on the sticker on the float. I believe my 7.5" needs to spin 550 rpms min. I have it on a mud mixer and if I use it any slower than max speed it will trigger the thermoswitch. May not be your issue, just food for thought.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2023, 01:26 PM »
Hmmm. Good point.
Heavy load while turning the internal cooling fan slowly = overheating. Makes sense to me.

Fishmon

« Reply #27 on: Jan 11, 2023, 08:10 AM »
I use the Milwaukee M-18 on the (1) setting with a clam plate and the 7.5 inch K auger.  I have a 9 amp high demand battery that runs the thing all day long and rarely does it ever drop the battery life to 3 bars or less.  My guess is that some of the drill models have issues. The auger either cuts or it does not.  If the auger does not cut new out of the box, take it back.

Offline Winds-of-Thor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2023, 06:57 AM »
It does not seem to bog down though.  It will be running OK and then all of a sudden it stops and it won't turn back on.  just really annoying with this.  Nez

Nez, mine was also cutting out. I’m convinced that it was a battery contact issue. Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.