Author Topic: Keeping Bait Alive  (Read 3458 times)

Offline StrikeMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont be a GoatBoy!!!
Keeping Bait Alive
« on: Jan 22, 2003, 01:03 PM »
Can you guys share you tips on keeping you live bait ALIVE!?!?
Those Mason-Dixon boys aint got nothin on the PA GOATBOYS!!!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Keeping Bait Alive
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2003, 03:57 PM »
a small cooler and an aerator works good make sure your water is clean too
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2003, 03:29 PM »
In addition to an aerator, change 2/3 of the water every 3 days using tap water and 10 drops of Start Right per gallon of water.  

WarrenA

« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2003, 07:47 AM »
I keep bait in a home made tank outside my garage and have done so for many years the main thing is to keep them cold 34 deg is perfect.Do not feed them as the minnow poop will spoil the water. I made a water filter out of pvc pipe and a submersible pumpand no longer try to aerate just let the water circulate and it will be fine. I generally seine minnows about the first of Nov. and keep them all ice season

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2003, 06:49 AM »
i just keep them in a 5 gallon bucket in the basement and change water every 2 days

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2004, 08:41 AM »
I just hook up the old fish tank the kids used to use. (my minnows sem to fare better than the pet store fish did).  :)  Only need a recirculating filter, the kind with a foaminsert and charcoal filter. This aerates the tank as well.

This works well for keeping minnows from the bait store alive during the ice fishing season. I have also had good luck this way with "home caught" minnows netted from the local pond.

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2004, 09:20 AM »
old ice cheast out side plenty of air rocks and clean it 1 week
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

grumpymoe

« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2004, 09:22 AM »
i've tried various tips passed along on this subject, and i have found that the most important thing, is keeping the temperature down to just above freezing. it slows their metabolisms down, thus reducing oxygen requirements. i should probably pickup a pump to aerate, or move the water around, but all i do is manually dump water into the bucket and add fresh snow or ice every other day. they seem to do quite well and lose only the occasional minnow. grump

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.