Author Topic: Fast Depth/fish checking with torch (Ice Trolling)  (Read 4131 times)

Offline Garrett

• IceShanty Rookie
Fast Depth/fish checking with torch (Ice Trolling)
« on: Jul 08, 2019, 03:15 PM »
Hi All-
Here is my tips contribution.

I use charcoal heated tipup boxes so I keep a handheld click start torch with me on the ice for that.

Since I had the torch, I can kick the snow off the ice with my boot, hit the ice with the torch for a few seconds to  create a puddle on the top of the ice, set the vex ducer on the puddle and it shoots through the ice!
I can check depths, see if fish are under me, structures etc all without drilling extra holes. If I am setting up tipups on a 10-20ft drop off, I will use the torch to Premark my tipup locations at the depths I want to target without having to drill lots of holes to find those depths on a gradual drop. Its pretty slick.  Using my DIY track sled, I don't actually have to get out of the sled or shut it off to find my spots or the fish. Only when I find them is when the auger comes out.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fast Depth/fish checking with torch (Ice Trolling)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2019, 11:24 AM »
Great tip!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2019, 12:43 PM »
Slick idea. I've been lugging around a little thermos to wet the ice for my Marcum LX-i , the little flashlight looking job. Kind of a pain. Is there one brand of those butane lighters that stands above the rest?

Edited five minutes later: may have to re-think. I usually ice fish at 10,500' elevation and butane sometimes is hard to light with that little oxygen mixed in.. The little kitchen mini-torches that many of you guys use to caramelize your crème brulee would also work for that application.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2019, 01:00 PM »
I've carried a small dish detergent bottle with heavily salted water. Before anyone lights me up more salt drips offa vehicles or runs of the road than I introduce with a couple squirts. Doesn't solve the rough ice issue but a torch would  :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Garrett

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2019, 10:29 AM »
I have learned through trying to be cheap that torches are not equal in the cold. propane doesn't like to vaporize in the cold and lower btu torches don't cut it! I started using a cheap $20 click start torch but it froze up constantly and just really didn't work during the cold.

Now I use a Bernzomatic TS4000.This has been the most reliable for me in cold weather. Its twice the cost ~$38 on amazon.  I also run box tip-ups at times (bite me box style) and I started carrying the torch for starting the charcoal, and started playing the the torching the surface to find the depth the last 2 years and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-TS4000-Trigger-Start-Torch/dp/B00008ZA09/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=propane+torch&qid=1570461698&sr=8-18

I run a home built track sled with a storage box that I keep the propane torch and the vex in to quick grab and check depths when I pull up on a spot. works slick.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2019, 10:32 PM »
I just punch one hole, and scan around me with the panoptix  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.