Author Topic: Fire on ice-- need a fire pit  (Read 18168 times)

Buzzard_Wing

Fire on ice-- need a fire pit
« on: Jan 13, 2003, 05:42 PM »
Last year the Warden informed us that a fire on the ice was against the rules (but not in the book) so does anyone have any ideas for containing a fire on the ice??
I don't have an old 55 gal drum (oh I do have a plastic one).
We are not looking forward to getting in trouble with the warden (he did study every license) this year.
Thanks.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
Re: Fire on ice-- need a fire pit
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2003, 06:08 PM »
get a small cheap char coal grill.  Probably from the litter is why he did not like it.

Buzzard_Wing

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2003, 06:39 PM »
Actually he said the ash was bad for the fish!

RSQCAL

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2003, 01:36 AM »
I know in Wisconsin you can't have a fire on the ice. You can have a grill. Can't dump the ashes on the lake. I seen a guy get a ticket last year. He was getting his shack ready to pull off. Dumped the ashes from the wood stove in the shack on the ice next to his shack. Got a littering violation I believe he said. :-/

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2003, 06:36 AM »
allthough i dont see a reason or a need for a full blown fire on the ice, i do have a suggestion.... why not use one of those ne screened in outdoor fireplaces. they use them in cities where fire pits are illegal! i think this might be better since it would be off the ice and there would be no chance of melting a hole. i believe they sit on legs about a foot and a half to two feet off the ground. also, i would suggest carrying a can for the ashes! hope this is some help!  ;D

<((>(  :'( STAY ON TOP!

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2003, 07:00 AM »
You could use the spin tub out of a washing machine.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2003, 03:49 PM »
Use an old grill or the hood off a car. Dispose of the ashes off the lake.

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Buzzard_Wing

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2003, 05:38 PM »
Some great ideas.... caused me to think of the bottom of my portaKitchen grill.  It is a nice alum smoker/grill that would work fine!
The advantage of a regular fire is that you don't need to cut the wood, you just push it in as it burns.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2003, 07:54 PM »
just so you guys know, it would take literally a ton of ashes to even have an effect on a 20 acre lake.  The small amount of ashes from a fisherman's fire has absolutely no effect on the water, or fish--with two exceptions

- if you are burning something toxic, like plastics, pressure treated wood, plywood, or accelerants.

- or, the ashes are dark, and could cause week spots on the ice, besides the heat from the actual fire.

the warden should have mentioned this, instead of blowing smoke up your ass.

Buzzard_Wing

« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2003, 05:18 PM »
I agree about the quantity of ash, especially in a lake that is several hundred acres (more than 10 miles long).  So I suspect the warden was just looking for SOMETHING to complain about.  (I guess drinking while fishing is still legal)

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
game wardens
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2003, 06:43 PM »
  Now, come on guys.  The wardens are not that bad.  Lets face it they have a tough job.  I also know that most of you guys pick up after yourself.  But remember when you went out and some s.o.b.  left a huge mess.  I saw a spot where a vehicle had caught on fire.  Looked like **** , and they left the burnt seat just laying on the ice.  Even a pile of ash looks bad.  It makes all fishermen look bad.  so keep that in mind when you are out.  And a "yes sir" to the warden would not hurt his attitude.  I have delt with many warders and even if they were in a bad mood to start after giving them some respect he would leave smiling. ;)

ipunch2u

« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2003, 07:13 PM »
Yes sir Mr. Warden sir. lol ;D

Buzzard_Wing

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2003, 05:39 PM »
I have nothing against wardens.... In Maine they do have more authority than Allah.  I did have a bit of a civil law issue with a 'retired' warden that is kinda humorous NOW.  
But his attitude has created a prejudice that is undeserved for those generally hard working and noble professionals.  
I am glad to play by the rules.... but it is hard to follow the rules if you don't know them..... or they are not published.
:-[

Offline darossman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Jumping through my icehole!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2003, 08:08 PM »
Take no disrespect but why not buy a propane heater.  They are very cheap and it beats the heck out of dragging firewood out onto the ice.  Just can't picture hauling a face cord of oak 100 yards in a Jetsled!

sleddragger

« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2003, 04:51 AM »
If you can't take the cold,

stay out of the-fishin.

loakieidog

Re:Fire on ice-- need a fire pit
« Reply #15 on: Nov 16, 2003, 01:32 PM »
I have talked to our area warden here in oshkosh wi. I'am told that you can have a fire-burn down your shack-but must pick up the mess.Whatever does not burn includeing ashes-you must remove

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2003, 04:24 AM »
We use Smokey Joe charcoal grills to cook on and when were not cooking we just keep throwing charcoal on them they keep warm for hours. Last year we saw a warden throwing guys off the ice for having fires on the ice.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2003, 05:28 PM »
"I have talked to our area warden here in oshkosh wi. I'am told that you can have a fire-burn down your shack-but must pick up the mess.Whatever does not burn includeing ashes-you must remove"

Why the hell would someone burn there shack down? Whats the ressoning for this?
Anthony

redneck

« Reply #18 on: Dec 22, 2003, 02:01 PM »
We just use a metal 5 gallon pal with small holes drilled in it. Use it alot even in the summer when catfish never had any problem with john law.Best part is you get one for free. Find someone who does cement work ask them, there sealer comes in them. Easy to clean out just take off the cover and throw in a match. Stay back a ways they go up just like gas.
Redneck

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 22, 2003, 04:26 PM »
I use an old bar-b-q with the lid removed. still has the old stand with the wheels on, so it is the right height.
At the end of the day, I dump the ashes into a metal container for disposal at home or wherever. Can throw the grill on if I want to cook something.

bullheadbasher

« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2003, 11:40 AM »
The only thing I dont like about Wardens is that you can seriously try to do everything right.  From the bottom of your heart, you are trying your absolute best to not break the law at all, but the will still screw you over somehow.  Also, in South Dakota we just make a huge fire on the lake and stand around and drink beer.  It probably looks like a KKK convention.  

Offline gulp

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2005, 03:21 PM »
I have a propane fish cooker that I got for outdoor cooking. Turned all the way up you can get a flame about 2 ft high. No mess to clean up and you can cook hotdogs on a stick till you get enough fish to start cooking.
Take a kid fishing,they make great pack mules.
Put the big ones back for another day eat the small ones.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 09, 2005, 03:59 PM »
There's a new outfit in Utah that makes a "Quickfire".  It runs on propane.  It produces a yellow flame instead of the normal blue flame propane usually puts out.  It's okay for use around here when they put fire restrictions in place because it doesn't produce ashes.  And when you turn it off, the are no sparks or embers.

Fishrmn
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline TDibiasio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2005, 02:33 PM »
I just bought a product called "Camp Fire in a Can" from the sportsmans guide that looks pretty promising.  It is essentially a can and base, plus 2 ventilated inserts that allow the fire to be self contained, and easily take off the ice what you bring on.  Now having said all of this I have not tried it out yet as I am most likely 2.5 months away from having safe ice. :(

Offline iceman_4432

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 02, 2005, 02:07 PM »
I used to bring out a 5 gallon metal container.   Holes drilled on the sides in the bottom for air and a wire ring stand to get it off the ice.  Throw firewood int he bottom and BAM .... good all day long. 

hali-man

« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2005, 03:01 PM »
We use Smokey Joe charcoal grills to cook on and when were not cooking we just keep throwing charcoal on them they keep warm for hours.

I have one of those, Weber makes them. They're great!
You can burn wood, but it has to be cut pretty small.
Charcoal briquettes work much better.
It is always in the back of my truck with my camping / fishing gear.

Offline Slacktide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2005, 12:54 PM »
I was just at Lowe's and saw a unit that was about 2ft. across and the shape of a dinner plate it had legs on it to keep it off the ground. Its made to have a controlled fire in your yard or camping. Very basic looking, when I saw it I thought how good it would be to have a fire on the ice with it. I will be going back soon and I will take a closer look.

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2005, 01:00 PM »
question about those fire pits with the metal legs on them, should you put a piece of plywood under it while on the ice or will it be fine without ???

also does anyone know the legality of having a fire on the ice in NY ???

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2005, 02:20 PM »
Old tire rims make great fire pits.... ;)

hali-man

« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2005, 03:10 PM »
also does anyone know the legality of having a fire on the ice in NY ???

I have fired up the Smokey Joe a few times, J.
No one has ever said anything, but then it's more of a bbq than a open fire.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.