Author Topic: Reel questions  (Read 2408 times)

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Reel questions
« on: Dec 29, 2014, 08:37 PM »
Something I've noticed a lot more of in stores recently is reels that are more like fly reels than anything. Some with price tags over $50!  Can someone explain to me why that style of reel is beneficial over a spinning reel?  I can't seem to wrap my head around it. Thanks!

Offline CatskillsFisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Reel questions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2014, 08:40 PM »
I don't have one yet but I believe it helps with reducing line memory and twist.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2014, 09:58 PM »
I don't have one yet but I believe it helps with reducing line memory and twist.

I can see it being a huge pain on larger fish and deeper water though.  Must take a while to get a rig dropped down without being able to let it spin freely off a spool.  As for line twist - isn't it a good thing sometimes?  Keeps the jig/spoon/bait in motion.  At least that's my thought on it.  I can see it being fun in shallow water though.  Fly-like reels are more appealing to some people. 

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2014, 06:41 AM »
In 20' of water or less all I use are fly reels. Using 4 lb. test I have to play out larger trout which would create a lot of twist using a spinning reel with a light drag. With a fly reel I get
virtually no twist and don't need to use the drag as I can palm the reel when playing a fish. Because of the 1 to 1 ratio it doesn't retrieve as fast as a spinning reel.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:15 AM »
If you want to cut down on the line twist. Don't reel while fish is pulling out line and your drag is singing.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2015, 05:04 PM »
I have 2 Cabelas brand reels I picked up for $20 each. They work fine for me & makes bringing in a big fish challenging & fun.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2015, 09:41 PM »
I can see them being fun to use. But if you're targeting perch in deep water.... Takes a very long time to drop down and reel up.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2015, 05:10 AM »
Reducing line twist is about the best benefit = hence keeps your lure from spinning in front of finicky fish.

The slower drop is sometimes a bit of a set back when you see school of fish below you, but if they're attacking your lure in about 15-20 ft of water - it's no worries.

In deep water - slower reel up of fish, generally means higher chance of release survival.

Most of all, it's just fun.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.