Author Topic: Long time Vex user really liking my Helix 7 ice  (Read 2450 times)

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Long time Vex user really liking my Helix 7 ice
« on: Jan 19, 2019, 07:46 PM »
I use a Helix 7 SI in my boat and decided I would get it ice ready this winter.  I put it on a blue box, added a Lithium 10ah battery, a glow cup and a transducer arm.  I am running it with the 15/21 CHIRP ducer and a Lakemaster chip.  I'm really liking this thing.  On the trip out on the ice today, I put it on the passenger seat of the truck and used it to navigate right to the spot I wanted to fish.  Drilled a couple holes and flipped into flasher mode and started fishing.  As a test, I fired up my Vexliar FL28 5 feet away.  Neither unit had any interference and I didn't even have IR on the Humminbird.  I was very impressed.  As a long time Vex user, I was skeptical but walked away very impressed with the bird.  The auto-range on the unit was really impressive.  Overall very impressed.  My next test for it is to see how long it will run with the 10ah battery.  I can run my Vex 3 days without charging it with a 10ah lithium.  I don't expect to get that but if I can get 8-10 hours out of it, it might become my new go-to for the ice......
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
Re: Long time Vex user really liking my Helix 7 ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:13 AM »
have you used the new helix 7 on the ice yet?

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:36 AM »
Battery life: I run a 9ah AGM (lead-acid) battery and I get about 12 hours of run time while fishing outside on 6/10 brightness. 6/10 is the dimmest I can run it while outside in full sun. If I fish in an ice house I usually run it 3/10 brightness and have never been out long enough to kill the battery in a single day

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2019, 11:05 AM »
Thanks for the run time reply.  I usually run mine on 5/10 in the shack but haven't really run it much outside since it is pretty cold here right now. 

Offline dave_e

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2019, 12:33 PM »
Thanks.

Got my Helix Ice 5 G2 last week and am waiting for safe ice to try it out.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2019, 01:43 PM »
Congrats Dave!  I’m not sure what you’re using now for sonar but you’ll really like that unit. Send me a PM if I can be helpful in terms of the settings I’ve found that seem to be good. I’ve learned a lot just in the few times I’ve used mine.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:18 PM »
I've had some more time on the ice with my Helix 7 and am learning a lot as I go.  A few things I've learned that might help others:

1.  I was having a problem seeing my jig as it descended for the first 10 feet or so.  Turned out I had a surface clutter setting that was blocking out most everything.  I set that to the correct setting and now can see the jig from the top of the water column to the bottom. It was also fighting against the gain so I was having to turn the gain way up to see my jig.  Problem solved.

2.  I was having a problem with the bottom "jumping" on my flasher mode.  This happens on my Vex 28 sometimes too.  Turns out it is the same issue with both units....when you have it on auto range and the bottom is soft, the unit can jump as it loses a good read on the bottom.  Simple fix is to use manual depth mode and it took care of the issue. The Helix lets you set the depth in 1 foot increments.  Fishing in 23 feet of water?  You can set it to a 24 foot depth and be able to take full advantage of the flasher screen vs. having to be in a 40 foot depth mode like you do on alot of mechanical flashers. 

3.  I figured out that the Helix has bottom zoom in flasher mode and you can move the zoom all the way up through the water column.  As a crappie guy it is nice to have that option for suspended fish.  You can zoom in on any 6 foot section of the water column you want. 

4.  I have learned to like the "a" display mode on the flasher.  In this setting, you see your jig and fish based on their sound signature on the flasher circle display (like 2d) rather than just a line.  It seems to me that I get really good target separation in this mode but it does take a little getting used to.

Overall, I am very pleased.  My Vex has not been on the ice for a month now.  I love being able to be fishing a hole that is producing, simply reach down and hit the "mark" button which creates a GPS waypoint on that spot.  No fumbling for my phone, it is all right there.  I used it the other night when driving off the ice.  It was really foggy and the access was about a mile and half away.  I set it on the passenger seat of the truck and drove right to the launch even though I couldn't see more than 50 feet ahead.  I can set the cone angle I want on the screen and use combo flasher/2d or flasher/map on the screen at the same time.  It even shows you the time of day right on the flasher screen.  I never thought I would appreciate that, but it is really convenient having it right on the screen.  I've got a 4 day ice trip coming up in a week and will give it the true test on that trip.  If it performs like it has been for me, the Vex will get more time on the shelf for sure. 

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:59 PM »
HI, thanks for the update on the helix7, I need something for my boat and shanty, this sounds like what I need.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:06 PM »
Holehopper, nice update on the settings and your use so far. I've had mine out a few times so far. Still getting use to it like you are. I use mine in the boat also, so the learning curve isn't to bad. But ice mode is a bit different so I find your information helpful.

These Helix units are great on the ice, so far I'm impressed. I also like having the GPS at a fingers reach and the chart. Sure makes it nice and convienant all in one unit.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:16 PM »
I plan to mount mine to the dash of my snowmobile with a ram mount, then use it in the shanty

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2019, 01:06 AM »
I've been using the Helix 7 for a couple years now but just this year removed one of the head units from my boat and added the ice transducer.

Here is my set up, I used a ammo case, the whole unit fits in the case when not in use.

LOVE IT.

WINTER IS COMING!

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2019, 06:25 AM »
TickleStick, I like your set up, I'll do mine the same way. Going with a ram mount in the boat, sled, and ammo box. Thanks

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:18 PM »
I did the same thing with my helix 5, but I added an arm for the ducer. Like what was said above, everything fits inside the ammo can and makes it easy to carry.

Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline VenomInjected

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:28 PM »
Pretty much the same boat as you....

I was a Marcum LX3-TC user for years....

This year (due to a kayak purchase also and a desire to map my own lakes that aren't mapped by DNR)...

I got into a Garmin Echomap 63cv....

Wow.... what a difference.  GPS, 2D graph, lake maps,.... and still VERY good target seperation.

I would never go back to watching a flasher screen anymore (I love having 20-30 seconds of 'fishing history' via the 2D graphs.

My garmin 63cv (6" screen) got about 14 hours on auto-bright with original SLA battery. Just clocked about 23 hours of fishing with a Dakota Lithium and it was still going when I plugged in for a charging.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2019, 02:33 PM »

I would never go back to watching a flasher screen anymore (I love having 20-30 seconds of 'fishing history' via the 2D graphs.

Boy, does that make a difference.  You don't have to be glued to the screen.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2019, 03:28 PM »
TickleStick, alaska mike, what ammo box are you using? 

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2019, 05:49 PM »
It was the plastic one from cabelas. I figured plastic would be better than a metal one in a ice fishing environment.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2019, 08:31 AM »
I picked up a Helix 5 DI w/Navionics chip. But apparently the 5 won't utilize the SonarChart like my mobile app does. I'll use it this season but may sell it and upgrade to the H7 or possibly a Lowrance unit. It'll also serve me on the kayak as well. Are you running a gps chip on yours?  :tipup:

I did the same thing with my helix 5, but I added an arm for the ducer. Like what was said above, everything fits inside the ammo can and makes it easy to carry.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2019, 08:43 AM »
TickleStick, alaska mike, what ammo box are you using?
Guess I should have said what size box are you using? thanks

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2019, 04:01 PM »
I picked up a Helix 5 DI w/Navionics chip. But apparently the 5 won't utilize the SonarChart like my mobile app does. I'll use it this season but may sell it and upgrade to the H7 or possibly a Lowrance unit. It'll also serve me on the kayak as well. Are you running a gps chip on yours?  :tipup:

Nope, just a plain helix 5 sonar, no gps or down imaging.

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2019, 04:03 PM »
Guess I should have said what size box are you using? thanks
It's a oddball size ammo can from cabelas. It's 6 1/2" wide, 13" long, and 10" high. My battery, ram arm, helix and cords all fit in it.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:09 AM »
 alaska mike, thanks

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:56 AM »
once you go digital sonar and understand it, you won't go back to a very limited mechanical flasher.

since your looking for better, here are some upcoming sales you might be interested in.

the lowrance elite-9 ti will be on sale for 600$ and that is 470$ off retail at cabelas/bass pro on the 15th thru march 3rd.

the h7 g2 will be 500$ and that is 200$ off retail.

garmin 93sv will be 600$ with 400$ off retail. you can make this into live vu or panoptix.  gander sells the 73sv for that price everyday but will be on sale for 500$ and that is 250$ off retail.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.