Author Topic: Problem with lithium shuttle  (Read 3162 times)

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
Problem with lithium shuttle
« on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:03 PM »
Long time Marcum user. Upgraded my lx-5 to an m-5 with lithium shuttle. Tried to charge for the first time today... didn’t go well! After charger showed green, fully charged, turned on switch to find 0% charge. When charger is in but NOT plugged in to outlet, unit shows charged and acts as if charged. Started a help ticket with Marcum but not open on Sunday. Any ideas guys?
            Thanks
                Jim
If it ain't cold, it ain't fishing

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Problem with lithium shuttle
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:06 PM »
Pm 3300

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:12 PM »
Gills,
 Kinda cryptic , not sure what that means.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:13 PM »
That’s his handle(name in here)

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:50 PM »
Gills,
Thank you, pm sent

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:53 PM »
From your description this happening while the charger is still plugged in after charging the battery?  The meter is probably not intended to work with the charger attached.

Otherwise...

Did the unit come on?  If so, the battery is probably charged, but the meter is wrong.  Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery voltage?

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:58 PM »
To clarify,
When charger is completely disconnected from unit there is 0% charge, unit behaves as if it has no charge. When charger is connected to unit, but NOT connected to power source (wall outlet) it shows full charge on display and performs like a charged unit.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2019, 12:02 AM »
Strange. I’ve heard a lot of mixed feelings on the shuttle. When I first seen them, I had a feeling that people were going to be disappointed. I understand the issues I’ve seen (mostly battery issues) may be isolated incidents but for a $250 usb charger/flashlight, I don’t expect ANY issues. I mean, for half the price you can build your own. 2 seasons on my diy “shuttle” (just a power box but does everything and more than the shuttle) and have zero issues whatsoever.

Hopefully Marcum will have some answers other than “send it in for assessment”. Sounds like you should still be under warranty though. Did you buy it in a store? If so, I’d return it for another unit.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline ScotNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2019, 04:36 AM »
I had the exact same problem right out of the bucket with my Lithium Shuttle. The shuttle would report 0% and the LED light would be very dim. If you plugged the charger into the wall, the charger light would be green. When you plugged it into the shuttle, the charging light would stay green instead of going red to indicate charging, but the shuttle would then report 100% while plugged in and the LED light was very bright.

I contacted Marcum and they said it sounded like the battery was bad and needed to be replaced. They told me to send it in. I returned it to Bass Pro and got another one, which thankfully works great.

Another complication is that neither of my shuttles (the broken one and the good one) have a serial number. They are supposed to have one  in the void underneath.

Of the Marcum products I have purchased, 2 (vx1, shuttle) of the 3 have arrived dead, brand new out of the box. Both times Marcum has told me to send it in for repair, but paying to ship a brand new multi-hundred dollar piece of equipment and not having it for potentially weeks isn’t what I expect when I buy new electronics. I love my LX-6s, but I’ll definitely be looking at other options next time I’m shopping for a flasher.

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:02 AM »
To clarify,
When charger is completely disconnected from unit there is 0% charge, unit behaves as if it has no charge. When charger is connected to unit, but NOT connected to power source (wall outlet) it shows full charge on display and performs like a charged unit.

Ok, sounds like a connection issue with the unit's charging receptacle???  As others have suggested, take it back to the store for an exchange if possible or ask Marcum for a new part to DIY the repair if it's reasonably easy to do.  Otherwise, if you have an old charger around that fits the receptacle you could clip the end off and plug it into the unit to make it work until you send it in for repairs. 

Have to wonder how Marcum managed to screw up something this simple????

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2019, 08:14 AM »
Definitely an odd one. Waiting to hear back from Marcum. This unit has never been out of the house, it just made it out of its bucket yesterday. Pretty disappointing.

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2019, 02:04 PM »
Marcum has been heard from, received a text this morning... send it in. Leave on an ice fishing vacation in 9 days. Gotta love it!

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2019, 07:36 PM »
My Shuttle battery went bad at 1 year and 3 months. Emailed Marcum and they said it would be covered if it wasn’t older than 1 year and 30 days. Tried to find a replacement battery on my own but the battery they use is a special size made just for the Shuttle battery space. Ok so I decided to hell with them and I ordered a Pro Pack 2 from Vexilar for 29.00 and used one of my Dakota Lithium’s. My LX9 fits on it fine and I have rod holders and everything. I wish I’d done that to begin with and saved 250.00 bucks. I really liked my Shuttle but after doing the DIY with the Pro Pack I really never needed that Shuttle.
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.