Author Topic: Need to re-think my on ice unit  (Read 1333 times)

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Need to re-think my on ice unit
« on: Dec 14, 2018, 06:38 PM »
I had hoped my older 598 model HB would have a decent graphing result for ice fishing. I had it out today for the 1st time and while the flasher view works well, the graph mode leaves a lot to be desired. I can definitely use it as a flasher but I'm seriously considering taking my 1 generation Helix 10 out on my next trip. It is already set up to be portable from my open water fishing from my small boat. The head unit would be totally exposed to the elements the way I have it rigged; the battery remains in a closed plastic box so it should last quite well. It's hooked up to an 18 amp hour battery and I can make several trips before charging in warm weather so I'm not worried about battery life. Helix 10 is from 2016.

Should I have any worries about the winter cold affecting the display without some sort of cover around it? My wife is quite handy with a needle and thread and could probably make me some sort of insulated "jacket" to go around the case and leave the screen open if it would be advantageous.

I've read way back in this electronics board and see where some have stated that the screen has "slowed down" in temps in the -20 range but there is no way I'm going out in that extreme cold. I've looked in my owners manual but don't see any temperature range listed.
Maybe someday I'll think of something clever to write here...but I doubt it.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Need to re-think my on ice unit
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2018, 10:34 AM »
From what I have been reading the g2 units don’t have an issue with cold. And if you are out in -20 you should be in a heated shelter.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2018, 10:43 AM »
I had hoped my older 598 model HB would have a decent graphing result for ice fishing. I had it out today for the 1st time and while the flasher view works well, the graph mode leaves a lot to be desired. I can definitely use it as a flasher but I'm seriously considering taking my 1 generation Helix 10 out on my next trip. It is already set up to be portable from my open water fishing from my small boat. The head unit would be totally exposed to the elements the way I have it rigged; the battery remains in a closed plastic box so it should last quite well. It's hooked up to an 18 amp hour battery and I can make several trips before charging in warm weather so I'm not worried about battery life. Helix 10 is from 2016.

Should I have any worries about the winter cold affecting the display without some sort of cover around it? My wife is quite handy with a needle and thread and could probably make me some sort of insulated "jacket" to go around the case and leave the screen open if it would be advantageous.

I've read way back in this electronics board and see where some have stated that the screen has "slowed down" in temps in the -20 range but there is no way I'm going out in that extreme cold. I've looked in my owners manual but don't see any temperature range listed.
I believe the units that had a problem with slowing down had Liquid Crystal Display screens. 
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2018, 11:56 AM »
If I'm out in -20 degree weather, I should have my head examined!

I'm just getting started back in to ice fishing after about a 30 year break so really learning as I go. I've been reading for hours on all the info contained here on IS and soaking up as much as I can. Thanks for the reminder that the Helix is an LED screen and not LCD; forgot that distinction. No shelter in my plans for this year until I see how things go.  This warm weather here in CT will really hurt the ice we had so no telling when I'll get back out to re-test the 598 and perhaps give the Helix a try.

Thanks for the input!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2018, 12:23 PM »
i use my lx9 on top of their marcum lithium shuttle and it's exposed and there is no issues. it is designed that way. i don't know of any sonar that can't be used with out a carry bag/cover.

Offline Muggsy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 05:57 AM »
Update for those who might read this post in the future:

I purchased the Xi 9 20 ice transducer for it and it has made things much better. I've learned to run the chart speed at 7 and to stick with the 200 khz beam only. I've had it out for a few trips now and it works pretty darn good in my opinion. I've used it in water up to 32' and with a bit if tuning with the sensitivity, it will pick up what turned out to be 4-5" perch in 20' of water. Bigger fish like 10" perch or crappie are easily marked at the deepest depths I've fished. I turn off all the views I don't need, make sure to set ice fishing mode "on" in the setup menu and set the lowest depth to a couple of feet deeper than actual depth. It does the job.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.