Author Topic: NEED HELP - FLASHERS  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Yello-Sno

• IceShanty Rookie
NEED HELP - FLASHERS
« on: Jan 24, 2005, 01:07 PM »
Since currently I can only wish to own an FL-18 or the like, I purchased (2) older style Flashers off E-bay. The sellers guaranteed them to work and when we got them & tested them off of the ice out of water, they appeared to work (audible sound of spinning mechanism & light at zero feet). However when we got them on the ice we get nothing but a reading at zero feet. They are both on "ice boxes" and moving the transducers to plumb didn't help. Am I missing something? How 'bout some trouble shooting tips. Or did i buy 2 lemons?
I would greatly appreciate some help.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
Re: NEED HELP - FLASHERS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2005, 01:30 PM »
possibly something is wrong with the transducers.  or just a loose connection.  Take the transducer cable off and check it for nicks to the cable any break in the coating could cause the wire inside to corrode.  next clean the connection ends as best as you can.  If this does not do it you will probable have to bring the unit in or send it back to the seller.  If they said it worked I would contact them.  I have to ask how much you spent.  I mean two old flashers a vex could be found for 280 new or less used as many are getting the 18.  just a thought

Offline Yello-Sno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2005, 01:39 PM »
Only paid about 1/6 the cost of a new Vex.. lol
so it's not worth the repair cost. Just hoping we won't have to throw them away.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2005, 02:35 PM »
First thing is to check the connection from the unit to the cable, it'll probably have an "RCA" type connector. Clean the surfaces of the plug on the cable and the socket on the unit. Use emery cloth (lotus cloth) or super fine sandpaper to remove the corrosion. Check the cable for defects, if it's been spliced be sure the splice was soldered, if not it could be corroded. Make sure the battery is fully charged, it has to have enough power to "ping" also be sure you have a solid connection for the power cords. Check your polarity red is positive and black is negative. It may light up with the poles switched, but it won't ping.
I bought a HumminBird 60 in a Tom Mann "yellow bird" box, I have made some modifications for ice fishing. It works very well, even picks up a Swedish pimple at 25 feet.
FTD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.