Author Topic: Bobbers - idea & questions  (Read 4584 times)

P Gottshall

Re:Bobbers - idea & questions
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2004, 07:34 PM »
Hey Pop.  I don't think he meant frugal or that you dont' cost much.  I think he meant that you're CHEAP!  lol

That washer idea is an old catfish trick I've seen in the summer.  Instead of a washer, you'd use one of those red & white bobbers, set so the line can move through the hook.  They're pretty easy to see at night in the moon-light.

Good idea for the ice.

Paul

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2004, 08:46 AM »
Paul, I have used it for a long time.  For 1 pound line I have started using little plastic washers.  I paint all of them with glow in the dark paint and can charge them for night fishing.  When I was a kid, I used buttons.

I guess I am cheap.

Hows the ice around you?  I fished Saturday and Sunday, but the ice got real iffy Sunday afternoon.

Pop

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2004, 09:30 AM »
Anyone tried the Ice Buster floats. My brother swears by them. I have a pack that I am going to try.
http://www.fishingminnesota.com/icebust/ice-buster-bobber.html

I only use a float on my deadstick rod. My other rod I jig and use a tightline method.

P Gottshall

« Reply #33 on: Jan 15, 2004, 06:12 PM »
Pop,

Ice?  What ice?

I was out Sat on 3in in Eureka.  I didn't get out Sunday, but wish I had.  It's supposed to be near 40 this weekend, & the ice is probably too thin to risk.

There's a tournament in Peoria 1/31 I hope to go to, but I may need to get my boat out. . .

Tried to put a coiled spring bobber on my fiberglass UL tonight.  I used a match to shring the heat-shrink.  Guess what a flame does to fiberglass?

Paul

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2004, 11:08 AM »
Paul we still have some ok ice.  The pond, just down the road from my house, has about 4" of good ice.  I will try it Saturday.  It is a small pond, but has some nice bluegills in it.  If the kids start ice skating I will have to find another spot.  

I have burnt the ends off of a few rods and know what you mean.  Send me a PM and I will mail you some sprinng bobbers I make.  I leave a tag end on the wire and wrap them on with thread, just like a rod guide.  If you like those I will have to make up some of the 80 pound mono strike indicators and you can wrap them the same way.  If wrapping isn't your thing don't forget hot glue.  There are those that will a negative comment about sticking strike indicators to your ice rods, but remeber they are your ice rods.

Pop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.