Author Topic: Boots for a growing boy.  (Read 405 times)

Offline UnoTee

• IceShanty Rookie
Boots for a growing boy.
« on: Nov 12, 2019, 08:16 AM »
Howdy all. My son is 14 and still growing and wears a size 11.5 boots. I need to get him a decent pair of boots for hunting and ice fishing but I know they won't fit next year so I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for boots for him yet. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks all. We live in western central Michigan.
Stay safe and tight lines!

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Boots for a growing boy.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2019, 08:45 AM »
Buy a size up, he can layer socks and grow into them a bit. Maybe a 13

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2019, 08:49 AM »
Kamiks is what i would recomend ..removal liner and size up ..also remove the liner and have your boy walk around the house with them on ..it will stretch/conform  to his foot.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2019, 08:49 AM »
Kamik hunters aren't a bad boot and are under 50

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2019, 09:02 AM »
Best inexpensive option would be the Mickey Mouse Boots. For ice fishing and stand hunting no boot has ever kept my feet warmer. Only drawback they are on heavy side. Also not a good option used for briar busting when hunting rabbits. The rubber won't stand up to that.

The Mickey nickname is for the government issue cold weather boots. Another plus if one happens to get a soaker with this boot. The boot will permit warmth to restore after a few minutes. This feature won me many free breakfasts. Owners of a lot more expensive boots would laugh at my big white Mickeys. I would bet them if we both took our boots off and dunked our feet in the water. Breakfast was bet on who went to car first. I never had to buy breakfast .

This feature was discovered while probing the edges of a pond. We were pounding the fish and thought my trip would be cut short. But to my amazement my foot started to get warm again. All I did was pour water out of boot. Wring socks out and put boot back on. At first my foot was in agony as it was super cold that day. While walking around preparing to leave. I noticed the warmth returning. So I finished the trip.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline UnoTee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2019, 10:12 AM »
Thank you all! For him I went with the Kamik hunter as was advised by 2 of you already, thank you! I personally use the Mickey Mouse boots and love them. The first time I wore them was when they were issued to me in the Navy. The Kamiks are actually less expensive and I believe will be better suited for a 14 year old. Thanks again for everyone's input! I will let you know how we fair with this decision.
Stay safe and tight lines!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2019, 11:44 AM »
My boy is already wearing my boots...he's better not grow any bigger feet... ;D

For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.