Author Topic: bought 3 13 Free falls All three defective?  (Read 881 times)

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
bought 3 13 Free falls All three defective?
« on: Dec 30, 2017, 06:59 PM »
Thought I would try them again never ever again. Bought 3 of them new Reel 1 no working instant anti reverse. reel 2 sounded like a pea thrasher grindy. Reel 3 drag did not work. Brought back to the ma and pop bait store they said they were sorry and had been having lots of issues with there products. I do not want to bash and my intent is not to but 210 bucks for 3 reels and I have some I paid 30 bucks for spinning that is that still work. Hermph. I saw on another post about there quality problems I have a wicked ice combo that is great. Oh well had to blow some steam.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: bought 3 13 Free falls All three defective?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:15 PM »
All in-lines come from the factory broken. ALL of them- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:45 PM »
Thought I would try them again never ever again. Bought 3 of them new Reel 1 no working instant anti reverse. reel 2 sounded like a pea thrasher grindy. Reel 3 drag did not work. Brought back to the ma and pop bait store they said they were sorry and had been having lots of issues with there products. I do not want to bash and my intent is not to but 210 bucks for 3 reels and I have some I paid 30 bucks for spinning that is that still work. Hermph. I saw on another post about there quality problems I have a wicked ice combo that is great. Oh well had to blow some steam.

I looked at them....they looked like cheap POS for $110 so I passed on trying them. The BB6061 have been good for me.

Offline quackpot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Sorry to hear that, I use the cheap inlines. I've caught smallmouth, cats and saugeye with them.

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:13 PM »
I started a post last week about their quality and issues I had. Today the cork on my handle broke on the tickle stick. I take very good care of my gear and I’m really not sure what to think lol. I do have a ghost and I like that a lot though.

Offline Mrpike1973

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2017, 08:21 PM »
These were the Ghost reels. Just sad for the money.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:05 PM »
That is just so unappealing to have such poor quality.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:00 AM »
I started a post last week about their quality and issues I had. Today the cork on my handle broke on the tickle stick. I take very good care of my gear and I’m really not sure what to think lol. I do have a ghost and I like that a lot though.

I hate to say it......13 fishing is following the way of clam.......start with great solid products then try to save every penny for profits and cut on quality but charge like it is quality.

It is kinda ironic........clam and 13 were quality products back in the day.........however the standards dropped for more profits......celcius and HT were cheap crap......however today they have both increase quality on a lot of stuff and gotten better............If asked today "which" brand I would prefer or buy out of the 4-clam, HT, Celcius, or 13 fishing..........I'd have to look at the gear before I'd buy any of them........and more then likely wouldn't find myself buying much from any of them.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2018, 01:54 AM »
Honestly, for that money, if for panfish I would just buy a decent fly reel. For anything else I’d just go baitcaster. I really don’t see all the hype over these newer style inlines especially since the feedback I’ve heard and read has been about 75% negative regardless of brand or price. If you’re going inline for line twist issues, a $4 De-Ma works just as well and can be modded to fit almost any rod. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me...
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:35 AM »
bb-6061 love it! Free fall ghost, took it out on the ice first time yesterday no free fall. Didn’t work wish Inwould have paid attention to the bad reviews! I will keep my 6061 and use my spinners.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:53 AM »
In my post about their quality I had said my father in law got a widow maker and the orange tip flaked off. He got a new white tickle stick and right out of the box the paint on the tip flaked off that one too. He decided to just keep them and use them, which there’s no way I would do. Yesterday we were out and he went to set the hook on a crappie and the tip snapped
Right off the tickle stick. No more purchases from them, aside from maybe a 6061.

Offline Capt. j-rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2018, 02:07 PM »
It pisses me off to no end how this cycle goes... A guy has an idea and starts building things in his garage. The locals catch on and it get bigger. The guy can't really afford to quit his day job and hiring some help gets into workers comp, and all the small business bs. Now he is faced with a dilemma that they have maxed out unless he pumps in a few hundred grand to go to the next level. Mean while he stepped on the toes of the mega company by making a better mousetrap. Mega company offers enough money to buy out the product. They immediately ship it overseas, and strip out the quality that put the product on the map. Ultimately everything ends up being cheap Chinese trash.

13 fishing is a great innovator. They listen to the customer base and bring new ideas to the ice every year it seems. They are not cheap in price. The 6061 was a quality product, but it just needed a few refinements. A better drag washer and some polishing of the internals would have made it incredible. I have proof because I polished mine and used hot sauce. For a few bucks more it would have come out of the box that way. The free fall is not plastic, it is a crazy tough composite. That being said, I refuse to pay $110 for a reel made in china that isn't perfect out of the box. The company has a great idea, they just need to make it perfect before they release it. Inlines have filled a void that really never existed to begin with. I drank the cool aid and NEVER saw a difference in my catches. The 6061 is on the walleye rod and mostly because I paid that much for some smoke and mirrors advertising. If you want a rod, find a USA shop that is making them here. Help out the guys that are trying to start a company. Buy local even though it is a few bucks more. As far as the free fall? I will buy $110 worth of gas and bait and I'll see you when you get out there after you get done working overtime to pay for your Chinese reel.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.