Author Topic: Bobber stops  (Read 787 times)

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bobber stops
« on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:12 PM »
Well this is not ice fishing related, but because of the lack of ice I've been doing a lot of shore fishing. I'm generally not one for slip bobbers but I feel like I can get the best action on a tube jig with one. The problem is, and I'm sure It's a well known one, I can never keep my knot in place. No matter what I do it always ends up 10 ft deeper that It's supposed to, hence why I don't like them. Anyone have any tips on how to keep them in place?? Thanks!

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bobber stops
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:19 PM »
Been using this type for years without a problem     http://www.cabelas.com/product/bobber-stops-per-10/711752.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbobber%252Bstops%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=bobber+stops

I actually tried those today for the first time, they worked much better but it still had some slip to it. The only ones they had were 4-8lb. I run 4lb so maybe I'll search for some 2-4lbs and try that out.

Offline ByteN2it

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2015, 06:22 PM »
This is what I've been using-easy on & off bobbers & stops
http://www.clearlyoutdoors.com/fnimall/smart_stop_bobbers_micro.phtml
" The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson ! "

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2015, 07:29 PM »
I agree with ByteN2it, those are firm holding stops.  One note of caution - be sure to get the line down into the slot before closing it.  I think I put one on crooked and the line broke above the stop.  The result was a huge crappie swimming away with bobber still attached to the line and the hook still in its mouth.  I was just sick that a great fish was swimming around towing the bobber underwater.  It was like a scene from Jaws when they harpoon the shark with a barrel attached.  I saw the bobber pass by my spot twice about 3 feet under the water surface being towed by the crappie.  I digress, the clearly outdoors bobber and bobber stop system is best I have used to date.

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2015, 01:35 AM »
Moisten them with a bit of saliva before pulling them tight. The lubrication will make them go tighter. ;)
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2015, 04:55 AM »
I'm not one for a non-sliding bobber stop.  If I had to I would apply glue or rubber band to my bobber stop string knot.  My problem is with setting the string knot and adjusting it anywhere from 1 foot to like 15 feet set up. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Osage

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it ain't my business,It ain't my business !!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2015, 08:47 AM »
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread,but rather adding to it.I don't think Ive seen where the smart stop bobber stop has been mentioned,has anyone tried them? And if so what are your thoughts?

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2015, 09:10 AM »
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread,but rather adding to it.I don't think Ive seen where the smart stop bobber stop has been mentioned,has anyone tried them? And if so what are your thoughts?
I tried them and they hung up on the spool too much for my liking. I use the rubber type that OneMoreFish posted about and don't have that problem. The smart stops were given to a friend who trashed them.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Crappieshrooms

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2015, 09:19 AM »
We have used the smart stops some the last couple years. We fish Kentucky lake a lot. Slip bobbers are almost a must down there. We have been pretty happy with them. Seems like anything you use that you need to slide up and down your line, will slip sometimes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.