Author Topic: Bobhouse stoves  (Read 1754 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bobhouse stoves
« on: Dec 16, 2004, 01:26 PM »
anyone know where to pick one up? i live in nh and a frined and me are gunna build a house next summer and need a stove...any ideas? thanks
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Bobhouse stoves
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2004, 08:48 PM »
how big is bobhouse and what is your desired fuel?

iceguru

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2004, 06:14 AM »
I WOULD JUST USE THE STANDARD COLEMAN.

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2004, 09:26 AM »
I also am not sure of what you need (size) but I'm a big fan of vented stoves,..I don't like being in an unvented house. For a small space you might look at Nu Way heaters,.they are cheap and I believe safe if you install them correctly. (propane) I use one for may tool/work shed. Having electric helps as I turn a mall fan to blow across it and and the stack,. it takes out more BTU's from the unit instead of going outdoors as hot exhaust, out of the stack,..I stop some of the exhaust draft via a stove pipe damper as the 3" stack is a bit excessive.

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2004, 06:46 AM »
it'll be probably around 7x7 or somewhere around there and wood is what we'll use. 
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2004, 07:57 AM »

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2004, 03:06 PM »
Get a small propane gas log.  My 8x8 is not insulated yet, but it will be. I filled a 20# tank 3 times all last winter. It is way better than having to truck wood!

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2004, 05:29 PM »
DD,...would a gas log be vented? If not,.. Idunno, I'd hate to breath in those gases. You can really use up air in a small space,..I have a 16 x 20 tool/work shed and if its been cold for a while w/o heat in it I turn one a "Kerosun" a Mr Buddy, and  a Nuway stove all at once to quickly warm it up.... Sometimes the Mr Buddy has shut itself off due to low air. (I always open the door for 5 minutes or more before I go it,..it may drop the temp for a while but it quickly goes up because of all the mass of the stuff I have stored in there.) I shut off the Kerosun and the Mr Buddy stays off and I leave the Nu-way vented stove on if I'm going to work in there for a while. Warms up nice with good air inside,..I need the few brain cells I have left!! :D  Trick I learned with the Nu-way,..If you have electric ,.put a small electric fan blowing across the box and part of the stovepipe (angle it to hit both,..use a pipe damper to shut down some of the exhaust as its a bit excessive,..you can tell the draw you need by hearing the flame and open it up a tiny bit more,..this way you get a lot more BTU IN the cabin instead of up the pipe,..

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2004, 06:49 PM »
if you want a wood stove build one.. It cost me next to nothing to build mine it is huge and in all reality it heats better than any other I have ever seen.. 
Ice fishing is Gods gift to winter...

Offline newoodhntr

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2004, 07:37 PM »
Billitrite, I also have this stove and used it for the first time last week end . It worked very well for me I even boiled up some hot dogs on it .A friend told me he does a lot of cooking on his. Being vented you don't have the windows frosting up either like I did with the buddy heater. Newoodhntr

jigginman

« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2004, 08:11 PM »
wood puts off a nice heat, but what a pain! haul wood, then you have to start it, wait a half hour to put off some descent heat! I have a handi heater. It runs from lp & it's vented and you can also get one w/ a thermostat (optional). They come in various btu's. The only down fall is it was fairly expensive (around $350 for a 30,000 btu). Well worth the money, would buy again if I had too.

jigginman

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.