Author Topic: head gear light/lights  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Swampfox

• IceShanty Rookie
  • out of bait out of beer out of here!
head gear light/lights
« on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:35 AM »
hello all, 2nd year icer this year and I was hoping you could help me ,went Walleye fishing and the light I had was very poor dont even know what kind it was, anyhow im looking for a good light that you were as a hat that shines good but not uncomfortable any ideas, whats best ,and whats cheapest? thanks for the help :)

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: head gear light/lights
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:43 AM »
I found one at menards last year that seems to work well for me.  The light pivots up and down with 3 different settings and doesnt bug me the way some others I have used in the past and dont break like the ones that clip to a bill of a hat.
[IMG]]

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2009, 11:51 AM »

I agree with the clip to the bill of the hat kind.
I've been using a head lamp made by Princeton Tec for 5-7 years. It's light weight, gives off a bright low or high beam, comfortable and very little battery consumption. I will usually get a year out of the batteries.
It's a little more pricey but it's dependable.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2009, 02:37 PM »
Good and cheap:

Just about anything with LED's, preferable with 1 watt.
I like energizers, but all the ones I've own had plastics that broke on me in the cold.  Never change batteries on these guys in the freeze.  Cyclops is also a brand I like too.  Cost a more than Energizers.  Princton Tec - very good and more expensive.  Browning not quite as nice as Princton Tec - but expensive.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2009, 10:13 PM »
 I bought one of these a couple years ago. I didn't really use it until last season, but I came to really depend on it quite a bit. Very reliable and fits well over a cap or hat.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10202788____SearchResults

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2009, 03:07 AM »
The LED light market has exploded in the last year. There are hundreds of different lamp setups out there. Bass Pro and Cabelas carry good stuff and will warranty defective products for you. Beans is another good source.

My only suggestion is to immediately change the batteries out when you get the light you choose. If they're not a top brand battery, throw them away and replace them with GOOD batteries. The cheap batteries will leak and corrode with the slightest bit of moisture and ruin the light very quickly.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2009, 05:52 AM »
I have been using a Princeton Tec Scout. It's compact, lightweight, reliable and you can pick one up for $20 bucks, love it!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2009, 02:11 AM »
I have one of the cap clip on types from Fleet Farm and can't complain. I've been using it for over 2 years now for evening walleye fishing in the summer to walleye tip up fishing in the winter and it's still on the same batteries. Fin

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2009, 02:46 AM »
The LED light market has exploded in the last year. There are hundreds of different lamp setups out there. Bass Pro and Cabelas carry good stuff and will warranty defective products for you. Beans is another good source.

My only suggestion is to immediately change the batteries out when you get the light you choose. If they're not a top brand battery, throw them away and replace them with GOOD batteries. The cheap batteries will leak and corrode with the slightest bit of moisture and ruin the light very quickly.

RG
I'll second that about the batteries, but most of the time, batteries are not included!  But you're totally right about the cheap ones they send out.  Just being around any humidity will make the leak & jack everything up!  Duracell has been my go to for years now. 

Offline Sgt. Pepper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2009, 08:36 AM »
I agree with the clip to the bill of the hat kind.
I've been using a head lamp made by Princeton Tec for 5-7 years. It's light weight, gives off a bright low or high beam, comfortable and very little battery consumption. I will usually get a year out of the batteries.
It's a little more pricey but it's dependable.

i second this choice. before princeton, i went thru a bunch of less expensive brands. i could only get a year out of them.

the princeton is very dependable and waterproof. its lightweight and performs well.
forever in debt for your priceless advice

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2009, 09:20 AM »
I just use a LED headlamp that I forget who the manufacturer is. One thing I like about the one I have is that it has two brightness settings as well as a red LED setting. Luv using the red lights when it is very dark out since it doesn't affect my night vision as much as the bright white.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Swampfox

• IceShanty Rookie
  • out of bait out of beer out of here!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2009, 06:31 PM »

great advice guys,  never would of thought of changing the batteries right away , ill see what I got left over this week after paying bills than the rest is for a light !! :icefish:

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2009, 07:43 PM »
I have a Princton tec aurora. It's very nice and the batteries are rated to last about 150 hours. Bought it two years ago and I have only replaced the batteries two times. I would definitely suggest getting a headband instead of a clip on. I wear a baseball cap but not ALWAYS and on most cold days I am wearing a knit hat.
Whatever you choose, avoid a super cheap off brand. Most of that stuff will just eat batteries or fail. OH and I would say get one with a RED LED. Works great to keep your night vision. and it works even better if you ever go pick your own night crawlers.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 09, 2009, 04:29 AM »
Another vote for Princeton Tec! I've been using their stuff for 5 years now. I have the Quad now. Great lights... Very light, great battery life, waterproof and the best part is they have a lifetime warranty  ;D I'm very hard on my gear and they've replaced a couple of lights with no questions asked...

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2009, 11:20 AM »
I bought some cheap one and the battery died because of the cold weather.  Anyone have these problems?  Does anyone have a cheap one that gets around this or just a simple way to get around that.  It attaches to the bill of you hat on the top.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2009, 11:42 AM »
This is what I have, its my second headlamp, the first one still works, its just the plastic is cracked and isn't fully reliable, and the places I go and the situations I get into I have to have a good light.
Petzl is a good brand.

http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamps/tactikka-series/tactikka

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.