Author Topic: knowing the lake you fish  (Read 1940 times)

DAVES52380

knowing the lake you fish
« on: Nov 06, 2005, 05:08 PM »
I love to ice fish and have all the equip i need.  I go out and sporadically do ok.  I figured maybe I was fishing to many different lakes and not getting a chance to learn it.  I was thinking of picking no more than 2 lakes to icefish so i could have a chance to really get to know how to fish em.  Just not sure which ones to pick.  My top 3 picks are:
Shabbona Lake
Chain O' Lakes
Lake Michigan Harbors

My target species are Crappie, walleye and perch.   Need your guys help to decide, and if you have any suggestions  on any other lakes please let me know..  If anyone will be fishing these lakes and want to hook up, also let me know, thanks for any help,       Dave walleye

Offline Rotney72

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: knowing the lake you fish
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2005, 07:35 AM »
Hey Dave ..I think youve got the right idea..learn those lakes 1 or 2 at a time..thats what ive done here in NW INDIANA..the past few years have been alot better for me ,because it took the time to learn where the structure is ,also the contour of the lakes i fish...but it does get kind of boring looking at the same scenery sometimes..so i still get out and try other bodies of water...im interested in the lake michigan harbors..is it usually safe to fish those harbors on the ice? ive never tried it but i would like to pull some 1Lb perch through the ice. Ive Never Fished The other lakes you mentioned... later-Rodney

DAVES52380

« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2005, 09:43 PM »
Thanks for the info rotney,  yes the harbors get really good ice, i have seen it well past 12''.  let me know if you ever shoot over to the harbors, i have fished montrose,     and belmont harbors. hope to get lucky and hook some trout or salmon..

Offline crappiehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie too big for the hole!!! LOL!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2005, 05:58 PM »
sounds like a good idea to stay on one lake for a while and learn it. That's what I did this summer on a couple lakes and it pays off. It's too easy to move along to fast. It takes time to learn a lake.

Offline bear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2005, 07:01 AM »
I carry a small gps and have marked areas of interest in the summer when I fish from a boat. If I see something that I like on my depth finder I put it on the gps and then make notes about it. Also if you fish lakes that you are not familiar with just mark it on the gps and next time you will remember were it is. I go to northern Minnesota every summer and the gps is the first thing I pack. I wouldn't leave home without it. bear

Offline valleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2005, 07:35 AM »
Excellent choices.

I spent my time on mainly 2 lakes last year.  Crystal Lake and Channel.  Worked the areas well from the weed flats to the edges of drops offs.  Used the Gas Auger alot to drill 5-8 holes along a weed edge and into the weed bed. Jumped holes frequently to find the action.    
"Stick and Move" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Valleye
'Carpe Diem' does not mean 'Fish of the Day'

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2005, 07:25 PM »
I love to ice fish and have all the equip i need.  I go out and sporadically do ok.  I figured maybe I was fishing to many different lakes and not getting a chance to learn it.  I was thinking of picking no more than 2 lakes to icefish so i could have a chance to really get to know how to fish em.  Just not sure which ones to pick.  My top 3 picks are:
Shabbona Lake
Chain O' Lakes
Lake Michigan Harbors

My target species are Crappie, walleye and perch.   Need your guys help to decide, and if you have any suggestions  on any other lakes please let me know..  If anyone will be fishing these lakes and want to hook up, also let me know, thanks for any help,       Dave walleye

well sir. I'd just like to say is that i have lived on the chain for a little while now. looking to be about 16 years going on. What ive learned is that the chain is very different year to year just like any lake. the same old spots hold fish every year but it can take a large amount of time to figure when and where they are. Also you have to be very mobile to fish the chain with any sucess. My only gripes with the chain is the large amount of fishing pressure and the large amount of bombardier flag-seeking missles out there that keep me from using beaver dams. If you are going to fish the chain id say the easiest route would be to focus on an individual lake. I am happy to say i made it out about 400 feet onto fox lake before i got scared after i got off work today ;D.

DAVES52380

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2005, 04:42 AM »
just let me know when it is safe john.... but make sure you dont take a dip....   thanks for the reply guys, hopefully we'll be out there soon. tight lines, Dave Walleye

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.