Author Topic: Good to be back  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good to be back
« on: Dec 22, 2004, 03:04 PM »
How is everyone doing.  Today is my first day back.  I have been out of the country and it is good to see some of the old names here.  I have been thinking about ice fishing for two months and thought I would never get home to  get ready. 

It looks like you all have taken good care of the sport and made arrangements to have early ice.

GOOD TO BE BACK,

Pop

stinky

Re: Good to be back
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2004, 06:27 PM »
 welcome back Pops. The fishing in the back channels is getting good and some of the lakes are staring to be solid enough but you still have to be careful.

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2004, 08:59 AM »
Thanks stinky, I have some paper work to catch up on, but will be out the day after Christmas.  I fish a lot of small farm ponds and they have about 3" of ice now.  With the temps being as low as they are now I hope they all make it through the warm up next week.

Has anyone been to Gander Mountain in Peoria, do they have the ice fishing equipment out?  I need to pick up a few things (ha), I think it is impossible to pick up a few things without finding something new.

Pop

Offline Lonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2004, 07:37 PM »
Welcome back Pop, I was at Gander mt. today they have ice gear, but boy have they sold a lot since last Saturday.  I think you'll find about anything ya need.

I haven't been out yet, but like you hope to get out day after x-mas.  Let us know how you do in your area.

Happy Holidays, Lonzo

stinky

« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2004, 02:00 PM »
 Lonzo come on up north the ice is safe and the fish are biteing. Have a safe and Merry Xmas

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2004, 09:47 AM »
Hey Lonzo, it has been awhile since I talked to you my friend.  I have all the sand cleaned out of my socks and ready to get back on the ice.  There is good ice at Homer but the fish have not grown much.

Pop

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2004, 09:05 AM »
Hey Lonzo, I got permission to fish one of the old pits between Mahomet and Fisher, it turned out to be the best trip in several years.  My grandson and I fished 5 hours and caught 60 nice bluegills ( 9 to 11 inches) and I didn't keep count of the smaller ones.  All were released.  This is one of the pits that was closed to any fishing for the last dozen years or so.  The ground was purchased by a friend of mine and I will ask him if I could invite a friend if you would like to fish a day with me.  The only catch is we have to keep any and all crappie we catch.

I got a picture of my grandson holding two real 11" bluegill and will try to scan it and post so you can see these fish.  They are the healthiest bluegill I have seen in some time.  The biggest gills "T"(grandson) has ever seen much less caught, he was going crazy.  Now he wants me to build him a tiny 5 weight fly rod for open water, he
thinks these fish would be "big duds" on a fly rod.

Pop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.