Author Topic: ice conditions  (Read 12349 times)

Offline toph2o

• IceShanty Rookie
  • when in doubt, jerk
ice conditions
« on: Feb 21, 2004, 09:04 PM »
 Did any one try to fish Sat the 21st. in central Ill. I havent  had  the time to check and want to go Sunday but with the weather I'm wondering.    toph2o

P Gottshall

Re: ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2004, 10:31 PM »
Was out this morning on a local pond, with 5in of good ice.  Went to Eureka Lake this evening, & there was 3ft+ of open water around the shore.  I did see one guy on the ice, who apparently found a way on, but I went home.

Paul

stinky

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2004, 04:04 PM »
 The ice is makeing. Some of the back channels are or will be fishable by this weekend. Nielsens channel may be ready I will know tommorrow. Some back waters on the chain have about 2" of ice and still building.
Happy Holidays Bob

P Gottshall

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2004, 07:38 PM »
Back channels where?

Paul

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2004, 10:03 AM »
Paul-

Chain of Lakes........

How about T channel...Think it will be ready...I have two weeks off from work so I better get some fishing in......

stinky

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2004, 04:08 PM »
 Spooker there was a guy on the T channel Wed but said it wasn't quite ready so maybe by this weekend. Some of the channels on Petite are froze but the lakes them selves will be a while
Bob

Offline kinkyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2004, 06:15 AM »
T-Channel = Ackerman channels????

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:14 AM »
Walked on my pond this morning before work.......
Solid inch and a half of nice clear black ice............

Cant wait for Sunday.

stinky

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2004, 09:05 AM »
 Kinkyfish the T channel is off Pistakee and just off Rt.12 in Fox Lake. Famous Freddies used to let some park there just have a sandwich or drik afterwards. It will be plenty strong this weekend as long as there aren't to many there at one time.
Happy Holidays
Bob

Offline TylersDad03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2004, 01:24 PM »
About a 1/2-1 inch in Plainfield.Looks like mon or tuesday for the safe stuff. See ya out there. Bryan S.   

Offline bucky93

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2004, 10:36 AM »
Just got a report of someone at Mautinos fishing yesterday. I have not gotten out there myself but am thinking if he wind goes down i might go and check it out just to see how thick it is. Probably only able to get on the shallower ponds right at the moment though.

Offline illinoisicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2004, 02:09 PM »
    Got a solid 4 inches of ice on Kakusha here in Mendota,were gonna give it a try after the Bears game..

Offline icehoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2004, 01:04 PM »
Ice fishing or Da Bears game.... Hmmmm. you should have went fishing.

Offline illinoisicer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2004, 05:45 PM »
    Well I did have my priorities kinda out of order.The Bears and the fishing were both dissapointing.Bites were about as far apart as a Bears scoring drive.Had to give it a try.Were gonna hit it again tommorrow w/out any distractions.

stinky

« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2004, 06:31 PM »
 They are out on Lake Marie on the chain and the eyes are starting to hit. Some have been doing better from about 6 in the morning to early afternoon. some of the other lake will be a lot safer after this weekend.   
  The north end of channel lake still has some bad spots so be careful and don't walk down the center of the lake trying to get there.
Happy Holidays

stinky

« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2004, 04:56 PM »
 Was out on Channel Lake on the Fox Chain today and there is 7" of ice about 200 yds from shore and 5" over most of the lake. There is one spot between Channel Lake and Lake Catherine that the geese have kept open but it was crusted over today (NOT SAFE ICE ) in that area yet.
 I brought home 14 nice gills and released about 50 in about3 hrs on the ice.

Offline Lonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2004, 06:49 PM »
Stinky sounds like you did pretty darn good.  It sounds like you guys up there have better ice conditions up your way.  I was at a small pond yesterday and not all of it was froze up yet.  Theres a small chance that I may be up in your area next weekend.  The boss I mean the better half, claims she might be up for a weekend get away.  I'll let you know if I do, by IM.  It sure would be nice to catch a few nice gills.

Best of luck out there, Lonzo

Offline bucky93

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2004, 08:58 PM »
got out yesterday and caught a bunch of gills.  only about 30 keepers on the hennipen canal.  There was about 7 inches there.  Went to mautinos and had about 4 on the one little pond i wanted to try and about 5 on the duck slew. Fished the slew and had about a 4lb bass under me but couldn't get it to hit nothing.  caught a few small gills thats when i went to the canal.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #18 on: Dec 26, 2004, 09:08 AM »
hey lonzo,
Iceman here, went out yesterday-honey hole only had a couple inches of ice, so had to go to the "fished out" lakes-still caught 15-most dinks-one good crappie-best part, 6" good solid clear ice! I love the hut! Put the Mr. Buddy heater behind me and was toasty warm, just got to figure out some way to keep flaps on the ice better. BAD, BAD NEWS-you bettter get your butt on the ice quick! Check the forecasts for the next 2 weeks! Going to the honey hole Tom. morning-praying the ice doesn't melt underneath me! Sure could use a partner, if you see this before then, you're welcome to come!
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #19 on: Dec 26, 2004, 09:29 AM »
forgot to post that I was using jammingjigs and fat boys tipeed with honey worms and waxies. Am really impressed with the honey worms-though-word of advice-tear in half, just like the powerbait maggots-way too big-they need to downsize both baits. Any one use the powerbait Nymphs yet? was going to buy them, but $3-$4 for 12!!!!! No Way- One better last half a season for me!!!
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Lonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2004, 11:15 AM »
Stinky, If you can keep us posted with the warm temps and what the ice is doing up there.
really appreciated your help.

After your post of catching the gills I think I've been smacking my lips ever since I read it :P

Tight lines and good luck, Lonzo

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Praying for 3 more weeks of ice!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 26, 2004, 01:07 PM »
Was out o Crystal Lake this morning. ANywhere between 4 to about 7 inches on the west end...snowmoblies out.  Hopefully the warm spell just makes for cozy ice fishing and our ice stays. I have to say, the morning bite is sweet...back to back to back to back. Once it dies down though, its dead.

Joe
"Last name withheld for fun"

stinky

« Reply #22 on: Dec 26, 2004, 07:52 PM »
 Lonzo I waited till this afternoon to go back out. Plenty of fishermen but some were haveing problems catching.
 I had another 15 nice gills about 8" and gave them to 2 guys with there kids so they could have a fish fry. I will be back out tommorrow only have till thursday then I have hand surgery and won't beable to fish for at least a week. I will have more fish to clean before that happens though.......

Offline kinkyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2004, 07:34 AM »
Bob.....

Where are you getting the gills....off Mcdermitt's??...on the south end?   How deep?  I went to Deep Lake last night for a couple of hours.   Ice close to 8" thick.  A couple of small crappie and a few missed.  Drilled about 20 holes and could not find em.  Only two other guys out.  When I was in Triangle bait, I overheard talk of a 15# Walleye taken out of the chain.....no specifics.

Thanks,

Kinky

PS  Hope all goes well with your surgery!

stinky

« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2004, 05:56 PM »
Kinkyfish I have been going out of the Thirsty Turtle(used to be McDermits). I have gotten good fish both ends of the lake. You have to move around and also sort through them but I'm in the process of cleaning another 30 fish now. I took a short break for dinner then back to cleaning gills and a couple crappie.
If everything goes right I will be back out tommorrow.
 Did you go to the north end of Deep Lake or were you on the west side in the bay by the apartments.

Offline kinkyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2004, 07:35 AM »
Hey Stinky:

Was on the North end off 6th st. in 10-15ft H20.  I have not fished the West bay as of yet.  Was thinking of moving across the lake and around the point when the crowds show up.  Have you had success on that part of the Lake?  Where in proximity to the deep hole?

Kinky

stinky

« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2004, 05:37 PM »
 Kinkyfish I was by the lake street channel. Today the bite was slow but started about the time I had to leave. Be careful there is a pressure ridge north of Mentones(doubleD's) now that had lots of water around it. I may go fish on Lake Catherine tommorrow

stinky

« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2004, 06:36 PM »
 Couldn't make it today but my partner called and said he got into some nice crappies this afternoon. He didn't go out till 2:30 and called me by 4:30 and had a 3 gallon bucket of fish. Just hope the warm weather doesn't bring that much rain and we should be ok.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #28 on: Dec 31, 2004, 06:22 PM »
bad news for the central Il. guys and gals, drove by the lakes I fish here in yates city-almost completely open.

stinky

« Reply #29 on: Jan 01, 2005, 04:42 AM »
  There is still plenty of good fishable ice on the Fox Chain. The walleye have been hitting pretty good and the catfish also. Plenty of gills being caught.
 Like all frozen waters after a thaw there may be a few bad spots by shore and in the middle of the l;akes so take caution when going out.
 I heard a snowmobile went through on a southern Wi. Lake with this thaw so please be careful. Don't be afraid to use a spud bar and double check the ice before you go to far.
 Bob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.