Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Trout

Bows and Browns

(1/2) > >>

Fishinut:
I'm expecting safe ice near me soon so I am beginning to strategize on what I am going to do for Bows and Browns. I am going to start off, at early ice, shallow (less than 10-15ft) and jig with small kastmasters, jiggin raps and jigs tipped with mealworms. For tipups I will set them a couple feet under the ice, in less then 10-15ft, with small minnows, powerbait, corn,  and salmon eggs. For the tipups I will be using a 3ft leader of 6lb Trilene XT Green and alternating between a size 10-16 treble and size 8-12 single hook, depending on the bait. Does this sound like a correct approach for early ice Rainbows and Browns or should I change something??? The keys to this pattern are:  stay shallow (less then 10-15ft), keep bait just under the ice for tipups unless another productive depth is found from jigging, and alternate between powerbait, small minnows, corn, and salmon eggs for tipups. I hope I am on the right track, but please tell me if I am not!!!!!! I would like to hear your input on this pattern. Thanks - Fishinut

Pasquatch:
Sounds good to me, although i would probably use just minnows, not the corn and salmon eggs, but thats up to you. JMHO :-\

AdkIceman:
i was catching bows in shore to 15 feet of water yesterday on my tip ups 5 feet under with little minnows, they were 18-22 and lost a bigger one. They run and drop it a lot so be ready for that. Tommorrow I am going for the browns.
tight lines
~AdkIceman~

love2fishnhuntNH:
i'm glad i'm not the only one who experiences browns hitting, dropping, hitting dropping, i think they're just having a game under the ice, i'm getting them by waiting a few minutes for them to run again and then setting the hook, the bows have been pretty agressive though, good luck ;)

wolverine-iceman:
 Your plan sounds reel good to me! If all else fails... Downsize, meaning go with lighter line,smaller trebbles,or lures. From my experience, browns on blue shiners along drop-off,open your bail, use a slip bobber and a rubber band for a stopper,and let them run for 10-20 seconds.`bows in shallow I run a dead-stick in a rod holder  with a #18 treble hook and 3 lively wigglers set 1/2 way down.I crank my drag as loose as it will go, and tape a small bell to the rod-tip.The `bows run and dont feel any tension,you know there on from the chiming of the bell. Good luck...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version