Author Topic: Kenai Lake on Saturday  (Read 674 times)

Offline frydaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
Kenai Lake on Saturday
« on: Jan 31, 2007, 11:07 PM »
 ???   Hello everyone.  I'd like to head down to kenai lake on saturday, and was wondering if anyone has any tips for fishing there.  It will be my first trip down to the peninsula for hardwater fishing, so I'm heading into this one totally blind.  I had planned on jigging with chubby gitzits, and the usual swedish pimples and array of jigs.???   and what about depth........??   I had planned on starting at the closest point to the outfeed.  Any help that you guys can give me will be much appreciated, and followed with a full report on the action Saturday night.

Dazed and Confused,

Frydaddy
<br />

Offline FrankAk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kenai Lake on Saturday
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2007, 12:36 AM »
If i wasnt going to be busy winning a state wrestling title. I would be out fishing also. But I would suggest you call someone up there because last I heard all the warm weather is  making kenai lake really miserable. I have heard that there is a lot of overslow on that lake. It usueally has a lot of overflow anyways but with this warm weather I wouldent know what to think. Anyways fish shallow like at 15 - 50 feet with bait like herring and eggs. MAKE SURE YOUR 1/4 MILE AWAY FROM ALL INLET OR OUTLET STREAM. You can fish withen those streams if you are using a single hook artificial with no bait.

Try using bringt/glow because kenai lake isnt always clear. And oh yeah dont drive out on hidden lake. LOTS OF OVERFLOW.

Have fun and tight lines.

Offline frydaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kenai Lake on Saturday
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2007, 03:01 AM »
Thanks for the reply frank, and before i say anymore.............I'd just like to say good luck with your tourney this weekend.  Tear 'em a new ass!  I'm going to make a couple calls now that you mentioned the overflow situation, but if that's the case, and there is alot of overflow, i'll just head to big lake again, or possibly sand lake, and chase some pike with tips while i'm jiggin' for char and rainbows.  I'm not sure what the best bait is for fishing pike up here is, but I used to fish for trophy pike alot in Minnesota at Lake of the Woods.  I used to buy wire leader material and make my own leaders......for bait, i used 1-2 lb. sucker minnows.  The leader tapered down to a slip loop that would fit behind the gills, with a 1 oz. bell sinker on the bottom of the loop.....right on their belly.   This slowed 'em up a bit, and kept them down.  I attached this to my jigging rods and tip ups.  I would space my jigging rods and place them in pole holders with a piece of surveyers tape on the line........loose drags........and wait for the tape to disappear.....Caught alot of nice ones, and my biggest was 26 lbs.  My partner's biggest was a 33 lb'r.  I know that we cannot use live bait here, but i'm curious as to what the best available, and legal method is for chasing these rainbow killers.

peace out,

frydaddy
<br />

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.