Wyoming > Ice Fishing Wyoming

Burbot (ling) in Green River drainage

(1/1)

LT:
     I telephoned the G&F in Green River about the ling problem, mainly my question was, is there a written regulation? They told me they had appealed through newspaper articles in the Casper Star and some others for fishermen to keep 25 in the whole Green River drainage, including Big Sandy Reservoir. We had a lengthy chat about the problem.
     In the Fontenelle and Gorge fisheries, the netted ling have been necropsied and lake trout eggs, kokanee eggs and lake trout frye, just to mention a few, have been discovered; one can readily see why this is a growing and serious problem. And the numbers of ling are signifigant, comparitively, in the drainage.
     While there is no current regulation, one is being written for the whole drainage and it will essentially require the keeping/killing of the first 25 burbot caught, but I agree with Bigred1 here, if killing 25 is a good thing, killing 26 or 27 is even better.
     Maybe a bunch of us could meet over at Big Sandy Res on a given day and start to diminish their numbers. An aside on the other Big Sandy fish, only brown trout are being stocked there, no more rainbows...some problem with survivability.
     Knowledge is power. The point is that there's a ling problem in the drainage and removing them in huge numbers is a good thing.

ex-Lt

Bigred1:
The 25 ling limit and immediate kill order are in the on-line regs available at the Wy game and fish site.  The regs are pdf files so I just download a copy and keep it in my documents.  No hunting up the hard copy`s the orders are just a click away.

LT:
     I think what's happened here with this info will be part of the beauty of having our own Wyoming "spot" on Iceshanty.com.  ;D
                                           The ex-Lt

Wyoming_Ice:
HEY GUYS,
THANKS FOR THE UPDATE LT.
I CALLED OUR LOCAL WARDEN ON SATURDAY AND ASKED IF HE WAS INVOLVED IN THE NETTING THAT WENT ON OUT THERE. HE WAS NOT, BUT HE GAVE ME A NUMBER OF THE GUYS IN GREEN RIVER THAT WAS. I HAVEN'T CALLED THEM YET, BUT I WILL.
I WOULD LIKE TO FIND THE AREA THAT THEY HAD THEIR NET SETS.
THE WARDEN BASICALLY TOLD ME THE SAME STORY, IF HE CATCHES ME RELEASING A BURBOT, HE WILL CITE ME. (HE WAS KIDDING). HE DID SAY THAT THEY ARE IN THE PROCESS OF MAKING IT ILLEGAL TO PUT BURBOT BACK ALIVE.
I SAY LETS GO FIND THEM...........
WYO ICE

P.S. STOPPED BY THE BOAT RAMP BY THE DAM TODAY. 4 TO 5 INCHES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE RAMP. SOME WATER IN SOME SPOTS AROUND THE EDGES. WON'T BE LONG AND THE ICE WILL BE GOOD ON THE WHOLE LAKE.

LT:
    Current 2006/07 regs, page 20, par 22, ""The creel limit on ling shall be twenty-five per day or in possession. Any ling caught must be immediately killed."  :roflmao:
     In about three weeks, I will publish, in my Oudoor Colum of the Lander Journal, an article titled, "You Gotta Love the Lowly Ling". I will mention this area 4 reg. We're coming guys, we will help you dimish their numbers.  :thumbsup:
     Knowledge is power.
                                               Theeeee ex-Lt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version