Wyoming > Ice Fishing Wyoming

Barotrauma video

(1/3) > >>

appleye:
Stole this from the MT board as a lot of us fish for crappies (Me) LOL. Really good video and well done study that I think is very useful not only for crappies but walleye and perch as well. Feel free to comment should be a good dialog.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=394214.0

Smoke10:
Interesting video. I've heard of this, but never experienced it while fishing or saw any studies on it.

I didn't ice fish then, but I remember in SD, a section of Lake Francis Case (Missouri River) had a regulation that the first 4 walleye caught ice fishing had to be kept and the normal minimum length limit for walleye did not apply when ice fishing. Your daily limit of walleye was 4. 
I was always told barotrauma was the reason for that regulation.

Interesting thing, I saw this specific regulation changed at the beginning of 2023 and no longer applies, but never heard why it was changed.

POk3s:
Well that settled it…I’ll just have to keep every crappie I catch! Damn!

appleye:

--- Quote from: POk3s on Dec 05, 2023, 09:27 AM ---Well that settled it…I’ll just have to keep every crappie I catch! Damn!

--- End quote ---

Like that was an issue.  ;D I honestly think is a good policy. I do try to fish shallower that 20' most of the time so I don't have to worry if I choose to release one. I know on Keyhole you do see a few dead crappies under the ice from time to time. Mostly small fish which I  think struggle to get them selves deeper. I would be interested to see if a release aid tool would help like they do in the ocean. Maybe another study.

POk3s:
😂😂😂😂

The release tool would be a great next step, just to see…

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version