The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Gas augers  (Read 7494 times)

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Gas augers
« on: Feb 17, 2022, 07:24 AM »
I was at Upper Woods on Saturday and could not believe the number of guys still using gas augers!  :o

I counted no less than 5 guys using the old dinosaurs! First time in the last 10 years that us electric auger guys were outnumbered.

I was just shocked to see so many going “old school!”
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Gas augers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2022, 07:39 AM »
Some folks are more focused on catching the fish than what latest gear is used to drill the hole.  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2022, 07:44 AM »
Personally I love the screaming of my gas powered 2 stroke and everyone else's on some hard water. Nothing beats the smell either.

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2022, 07:52 AM »
I miss the ole one armed bandit, the exhaust echoing through the trees and valleys. I'm waiting to see beefed up diesel augers, just clouds of black smoke marking freshly drilled holes.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:00 AM »
I wanna have a nitro methane auger with an expansion chamber on it...like my mid 70's Yamaha dirt bikes.  ;D

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:05 AM »
Now i know where global warming is coming from. Soon we will have no ice at all. LOL

Offline fatty crusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:07 AM »
Have to sign up for the Hot auger competitions.

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:11 AM »
If it ain't broke why fix it. Wait until everything is electric and you are only allowed to charge during specific days and times. I'll still be drilling while your waiting.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:16 AM »
Just wait until you burn up that electric auger in 7 years and buying batteries every 4.my jiffy is 50 years old and on its 3rd sparkplug.only downside to gas augers are weight,but i grew up to be a strong man.the new gen iceman is not going to have the jiffy biceps.lol

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:22 AM »

THIS is old school!
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:24 AM »
Just wait until you burn up that electric auger in 7 years and buying batteries every 4.my jiffy is 50 years old and on its 3rd sparkplug.only downside to gas augers are weight,but i grew up to be a strong man.the new gen iceman is not going to have the jiffy biceps.lol

Ya, but he'll have warm patties from his battery-powered Hello Kitty mitties.   ;)

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:31 AM »
If it ain't broke why fix it. Wait until everything is electric and you are only allowed to charge during specific days and times. I'll still be drilling while your waiting.

If things ever get to that point, I'd imagine gas augers would be illegal to use by then, anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Gas outboards are already illegal more and more places, so I can imagine that scenario, eventually.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:39 AM »
I bought a Strikemaster 4 stroke ,Honda engine about 12 yeaars ago. Electric augers were just something new into the market. I wish I had bought an electric one then. But my Honda does the job just fine. I only take my gas one if the ice 8" or more. Cutting by hand is good exercise  :flex:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:51 AM »
Personally I love the screaming of my gas powered 2 stroke and everyone else's on some hard water. Nothing beats the smell either.

LMBO! I bet you’re still driving an early ‘80’s Chevy S-10 with 3 on the tree!  ;) ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:54 AM »

THIS is old school!

Yeah, that’s REALLY old school!  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:58 AM »

I get my workout at the gym!  ;D

Plus my Milwaukee Fuel is 6 years old now and still on the original batteries. And I use it a lot in the off season around the house. One of the best investments I ever made!  @)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Feb 17, 2022, 09:22 AM »
I get my workout at the gym!  ;D

Plus my Milwaukee Fuel is 6 years old now and still on the original batteries. And I use it a lot in the off season around the house. One of the best investments I ever made!  @)
sweet so you pay for a workout,i get my exercise for free lugging a old jiffy around.i got a drill auger too but still dont think they will last as long as a gas engine.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:16 AM »
sweet so you pay for a workout,i get my exercise for free lugging a old jiffy around.i got a drill auger too but still dont think they will last as long as a gas engine.

The gym is at work, so it’s free and I can workout on my lunchtime.  ;) Also have a home gym in the basement.

Well, we’ll see.................bu t I am betting with these new brushless cordless drills they will last as long as a gas auger.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:27 AM »
Amish folks are saying when your electricity grid collapses and your truck fails I will still have my lantern and horse.  I think they may have something there.  Sound logic.  We should all do that, right?  We should all just toss all of this modern living and technology in the trash and get back to the good ole days.  Makes perfectly good sense to me.  We should get rid of our new trucks and all go find some from the 50's.  Back when a truck was a truck and men drove them.  You could fix them with a wrench and your own two hands.  None of this fancy power breaks or power steering junk that is for wimps.  I think I'm on to something here.  I'm going home tonight and taking the furnace out of my house and putting in a wood burner just incase electricity become nonexistent in three years.

Sometimes it is just funny. Before someone gets all fired-up.  It was all in good fun.  You do you.

I was out a few weeks ago fishing deep creek.  You could hear that gas augers running.  I stopped and said that sound sure brings back the memories, I can smell the exhaust now, and thoughts of ripping on the string for 5 minutes and swearing at that thing.  I've burnt gloves and clothes on them.  Lugged those heavy pieces of meatal all over many lakes.  The good ole days.  I sold a gas auger for propane auger and a propane auger for an electric auger many years ago.  For me personally there are way to many benefits to electric than a fuel based auger under the condition that I fish. 

I get the point of the thread.  That sound is reminiscent of ice fishing. 

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:32 AM »
I'm developing some ice-shanty air freshener that smells like two-stroke...anyone wanna get in on it?  ;D

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:34 AM »
I do drive a old truck,woodstove and live off my land as much as possible.lets say simple way of life.id rather go back in time than forward.some people will be shat out of luck when the electric grid goes down for any amount of time.i know its a ways off topic but....

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:36 AM »
I'm developing some ice-shanty air freshener that smells like two-stroke...anyone wanna get in on it?  ;D
im in.if it smells like klotz 2 stroke oil.smells great!!

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:38 AM »
imin !  ;D

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:41 AM »
Amish folks are saying when your electricity grid collapses and your truck fails I will still have my lantern and horse.  I think they may have something there.  Sound logic.  We should all do that, right?  We should all just toss all of this modern living and technology in the trash and get back to the good ole days.  Makes perfectly good sense to me.  We should get rid of our new trucks and all go find some from the 50's.  Back when a truck was a truck and men drove them.  You could fix them with a wrench and your own two hands.  None of this fancy power breaks or power steering junk that is for wimps.  I think I'm on to something here.  I'm going home tonight and taking the furnace out of my house and putting in a wood burner just incase electricity become nonexistent in three years.

Sometimes it is just funny. Before someone gets all fired-up.  It was all in good fun.  You do you.

I was out a few weeks ago fishing deep creek.  You could hear that gas augers running.  I stopped and said that sound sure brings back the memories, I can smell the exhaust now, and thoughts of ripping on the string for 5 minutes and swearing at that thing.  I've burnt gloves and clothes on them.  Lugged those heavy pieces of meatal all over many lakes.  The good ole days.  I sold a gas auger for propane auger and a propane auger for an electric auger many years ago.  For me personally there are way to many benefits to electric than a fuel based auger under the condition that I fish. 

I get the point of the thread.  That sound is reminiscent of ice fishing. 

🤣🤣🤣
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:42 AM »
im in.if it smells like klotz 2 stroke oil.smells great!!
imin !  ;D

I'm also including a bottle of 2 stroke body-rub lotion. Different strokes for different folks!  ;)2

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:45 AM »
lol,
 as long as u dont rub in on me  :woot:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #26 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:49 AM »
Id take some beard oil too.lol.you could also come up with something like old spice gift sets...the seafoam edition.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:50 AM »
I do drive a old truck,woodstove and live off my land as much as possible.lets say simple way of life.id rather go back in time than forward.some people will be shat out of luck when the electric grid goes down for any amount of time.i know its a ways off topic but....

Our power went out for a week back in that March storm 3? Years ago. Got a nice big 6500 watt generator that will keep us comfortable until the power comes back on.

And I grew up next to an Amish farm, but I’ll pass on a manure scented air freshener............. ..even though it would bring back memories!  ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2022, 10:59 AM »
Id take some beard oil too.lol.you could also come up with something like old spice gift sets...the seafoam edition.

:roflmao:

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 17, 2022, 11:02 AM »
Our power went out for a week back in that March storm 3? Years ago. Got a nice big 6500 watt generator that will keep us comfortable until the power comes back on.

And I grew up next to an Amish farm, but I’ll pass on a manure scented air freshener............. ..even though it would bring back memories!  ;D

What happens when you run out of diesel or propane for your beloved generator? 

The Amish Mafia wants to know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.