Michigan > Ice Fishing Michigan U.P.

Any fishable ice in Baraga?

<< < (5/8) > >>

atallgiraffe:
Good to know that they're around! Though burbot fishing puts me way past bed time

Have seen a lot more going on on the camera today than last Saturday: one non-keeper trout and a few big schools of whitefish and smelt, a few menominee

coregonus:

--- Quote from: Dillyb123 on Feb 03, 2022, 04:37 PM ---Just went down ice as far as the eye can see

--- End quote ---

Itís still early to trust ice that formed in the last day or two, even if it extends out quite some distance. The latest MODIS image shows huge tracts of ice larger than K-bay breaking off from shore. We should be careful not to give people without experience on Great Lake ice a false sense of confidence; ice fishing Chassell bay and Lake Superior bays have very different risks.

mjbuck:
I am the original author of this post and I finally got to Baraga yesterday (3rd) and this is what I found.  I set up in 42 feet of water, straight out from the Willow Tree.  The ice was clear/black, with very little snow.  There is a solid 8-10 inches in the exact area I was in.  I was also told by a friend who fished Squaw Beach yesterday that there is 4-5 inches of good ice in that location.  As always, safety first.

whitetailsandcohos:
Don't be a dumba** like me. Put my 4wheeler's front wheels through the ice down in green bay the other day while chasing whitefish. Solid 18 inches of ice, so I wasn't being careful. Was only 100 yards from shore, but at some point during the day a two foot crack formed between me and the shore and I totally missed it driving back in the dark. Definitely scared me straight. Hearing ice crack and feeling those wheels go underwater when you're alone in the dark will do that !

Trapper906:

--- Quote from: mjbuck on Feb 04, 2022, 06:32 PM ---I am the original author of this post and I finally got to Baraga yesterday (3rd) and this is what I found.  I set up in 42 feet of water, straight out from the Willow Tree.  The ice was clear/black, with very little snow.  There is a solid 8-10 inches in the exact area I was in.  I was also told by a friend who fished Squaw Beach yesterday that there is 4-5 inches of good ice in that location.  As always, safety first.

--- End quote ---

The ice off of squaw is only good down towards the light house. Right off of squaw I heard there is about two inches I was told that it blew out on Tuesday in that wind we got. You can see the crack and shove ice line between the ice that left and stayed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version