Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Trout

New England trout tips

(1/2) > >>

Auger:
Posted At 18:26:50 01/15/2001
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need some tips for catching trout with tip-ups. What size hooks? How far under ice? Etc... I almost exclusively fish for Pike and Bass when I go on the ice. Help.  
neil belanger  Re: Trout Tips for New England? (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 09:33:41 02/13/2001
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Auger,

I'm from Mass and I'm out 3 times a week....2 days i fish for bass/pike and the third day i set up for salmon and trout......i have had tremendous luck with size 2 eagle-claw hooks and small minnows in about 15 feet of water---if you have a depth map of the lake you are fishing, drill holes til u find teh drop and you'll find teh fishing to be intense...set the minnow about 3 feet off the bottom on 4 of your tilts and then have a suspended minnow on your fifth tilt about 7 feet down....if the trout aren't hitting, i guarantee you will run into a school of perch at some point in teh day!  
Kevin  Re: Trout Tips for New England? (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 10:44:29 10/06/2001
Let me first say that that is a very broad question. It all depends on the type of trout you are fishing for. I'm from Maine and fish for brook, brown, and lake trout and they all have different methods. For lake trout, use a larger size hook, probalbly anywhere from size 2 to 6 will be fine. Find the deepest part of the lake and put that big fat bait about 1 or 2 feet off the bottom. Just make sure you have plenty of line left on your reel, cause when they take it, they don't stop! For brown trout, you can sometimes find them in deep holes also, atleast the larger size ones, but often I catch them along the shoreline while fishing for brookies. For both of these fish you can use a size 6 or 8 hook. I prefer the 8 due to the fact that smaller trout such as brookies and browns have smaller mouths and are unable to fit the larger hooks in there when hooking. You can fish for these species in about 2 to 15 feet of water and adjust your depth acording. I usually start about 1 or 2 feet down and sometimes cut the depth in half. It's all trial and error. Try jigging a spoon near one of your traps also, that might make an unactive fish become a little more hungry. Another tip you may learn through trial and error is try differnt types of bait. I know certain areas of the northeast carry all dofferent types, but the ones that I have the best luck on are smelts and redfin shiners. The redfins seem to endure the change in temp. better and are more lively than other types. They also just have something about them (color?) that these fish love! Hope this helped. Good luck!  
RAY AHRENS  Re: Trout Tips for New England? (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 09:02:53 11/24/2001
I FIND THE DEEPEST PART OF THE LAKE THEN SET A 2-4 INCH SHINER ON A #6-10 SIZE HOOK.FISH THAT RIG ANYWHERE BETWEEN 5 AND 15 FEET UNDER THE ICE-I'M FROM CT AND IVE FISHED THAT WAY LAST YEAR AND MEVER GOT SKUNKED AND HAD SOME 15-20 FLAG DAYS ON THE TIP-UPS. I WILL ONLY SET ONE TIP UP REALLY DEEP WITH THE LARGEST SHINER IN THE ,AND THATS USUALLY THE BIGGEST FISH OF THE DAY BUT THATS A WAITING GAME ITS A TRADE OFF QUALITY OR QUANTITY.GOOD LUCK DROP ME AN E-MAIL IF YOUR IN CT  
Scott Buckler  Re: Trout Tips for New England? (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 13:34:41 11/26/2001
Use gold colored hooks.  
joe  Re: Trout Tips for New England? (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 15:36:59 01/02/2002
put your bait two to four feet offthe bottom

Jack  Re: Trout Tips for New England? (Currently 0 replies)
Posted At 07:47:48 01/25/2002
Auger,
I'm a long term fisherman for lake trout and salmom on Lake George.When I,m fish-n tip ups I use a 12' mono lead 8lb.test and treble hooks sizes#16or14.use 3to4in.bait and fish 3'to40'down.If your going to jig try a white berkley power tube3" add a small wedge of sucker or percch to the jig and get ready for some action.Make sure you use a reel with a smooth drag.FISH-ON!!!  

STEVE H.:
Rainbows:Find a shallow SANDY bottom in 2 to 5 feet of water.Use a 6# test leader with a #8 hook.Cover the hook with powerbait(color does matter)use a small split shot to sink the bait.BROWNS:Only shiners or smelt will do.Fish the deeper water and cover the whole water column.

Cash:
Rainbows are good to find in sandy areas. Shallow sandy point is good bet, with drop offs near by.  Ohh that sounds so good! Cant wait to ice fish.  Dont make to much noise in that shallow area.  For rainbows, first ice is your best ice.  Good luck! ;)

daffydone:
I live in Indiana and the only trout we get to fish for is rainbowtrout that the DNR stock in the spring. The pond about five acres and max depth is thirtytwo feet deep and the fishing pressure is heavy during the spring,I was wondering, if there are any fish left, what would be the best way to catch them when the ice comes on?
I do good in the spring on berkley crappie nibblets,would that be good for winter?

Flash_King:
Boy that is deep for 5 acres! If there are shiners present I would set tip-ups extending from the shoreline and place your bait 6-8ft below the ice (stay away from the tip-ups, your noise echo's in the water column)or cut a number of holes and jig small lures at different depths.I like to use small1/8oz swiedish pimple, little cleo, or kastmaster.

Good Luck-Good Fishing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version