Author Topic: I've noticed...  (Read 3235 times)

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
I've noticed...
« on: Mar 03, 2021, 09:13 PM »
Several people that used to post on here, are MIA, the last couple of yrs.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: I've noticed...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2021, 04:37 AM »
a lot has to do with spot snipers.  they hit several years ago and that was the start of decline. imo  i even heard concerns of PMs not being secure.  people are spooked about putting info and pics up these days.  for good reason too.  too much info leads to aa lake getting overrun.  i heard it happened to kuhn lake this season.  i believe that was a f____book post that did that one.  so lots of people stopped posting and sending PMs out of those fears.  i used tro share abunch years ago. that stopped after i seen a lake destroyed this way.

people also change names to avoid being tracked.  so they mite still be hear under other names.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2021, 04:57 AM »
Im still around from time to time. For whatever reason i just havent posted as much.  i have a lot of irons in the fire with my job, and kids that are of the age they need ran around a bunch.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:35 AM »
Old school mesage boards as a whole are on the decline, too. Reddit and social media groups have cut away a lot of the user base over the past decade.

Offline Piggyn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2021, 02:39 PM »
It's not just the Indiana forum.  If you check out the Forum History at the bottom of the Iceshanty stats page, you'll see some telling trends.  The number of new Ice Shanty members is decreasing, and there are fewer new posts (although total membership is still going up).  However, site traffic (based on the max number of users online at ay one time) is still reasonably high... which means that there are a lot more lurkers than contributors than there used to be.  People were much freer with info years ago, but that wasn't necessarily a good thing for our fisheries for all of the reasons that river_scum mentioned.

Year     New Posts / Most Online

2021   40
 2020   80
 2019   105
 2018   102
 2017   103
 2016   131
 2015   144
 2014   198
 2013   229
 2012   264
 2011   292
 2010   345
 2009   386
 2008   373
 2007   374
 2006   460
 2005   446
 2004   370
 2003   156
Catching the lunkers of tomorrow today!

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2021, 06:59 PM »
The steady decline is interesting. FB has also grown in popularity so wonder how that correlates. I feel that Indiana is a tough state. The northern part is barely in the ice belt these days. I've done trips to MN, WI, and MI and surprised by how inactive those boards can be at times. I guess when you routinely get 12+ inches of ice you don't need to troll for info.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2021, 06:17 PM »
still here...just quiet
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Crappie_Killer_54

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2021, 06:29 PM »
a lot has to do with spot snipers.  they hit several years ago and that was the start of decline. imo  i even heard concerns of PMs not being secure.  people are spooked about putting info and pics up these days.  for good reason too.  too much info leads to aa lake getting overrun.  i heard it happened to huhn lake this season.  i believe that was a f____book post that did that one.  so lots of people stopped posting and sending PMs out of those fears.  i used tro share abunch years ago. that stopped after i seen a lake destroyed this way.

people also change names to avoid being tracked.  so they mite still be hear under other names.

Eric Pinkerton ruined kuhn this year with his post. He ruins alot of places with his post.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2021, 05:56 AM »
never heard of him.  he will learn better some day im guessing.

OANN the real story

Offline Scheu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2021, 04:26 PM »
I'm still posting on a regular basis and plan to continue. Maybe I will eventually run into some of you guys on the ice, depending on what where you live and ice fish in Northern Indiana.

Offline Slab catcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2021, 04:31 PM »
What soft water sites does everyone go to? Thanks in advance!!

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2021, 04:41 PM »
I don't know the guy either but I do know that my brother has a place on Kuhn and he is not a happy camper from the photos that have been posted on the Barbee Lake Assoc. website.  I can't imagine the amount of trash that was left behind and will be found floating along the shorelines next spring.

Most guys go to My Fish Finder and there is also Crappie.com  Problem is everybody is too busy fishing to spend time typing.  There are a couple of more sites I believe people use but I haven't been to them.  Good Luck.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2021, 04:46 PM »
I've seen guys come and go over the years.  It all part of the drama "As the Auger Turns" show.

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2021, 10:40 PM »
 I've noticed the same with people mia. Facebook has multiple sites with people posting pic's and fighting over a multitude of issues, there are some who try to keep it humorous on the threads. Sad to say some people post info about lakes having a good bite and those BOWs get hammered. I was on the 'See' when such a case occurred. Fellas told me they read on facebook fish were biting there. 2.5"-3" of ice in an area half the size of a volleyball court and 35 people trying to fish it. Just glad I was the first person there and had my spot picked out. I quit sharing info on lakes several years past, not worth the hassle of trying to find a place to fish in a crowd. 

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2021, 01:14 PM »
I loved it back a few years ago we had a Tuesday night league over here.  Guys would meet and we would have a mini tournament.  Got to know several guys that way.  I also think the lack of an online tournament has limited the site also.  But I can understand why it was dropped, it had to be a lot of work.

Offline Dogonecrazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2021, 03:03 PM »
            Eric Pinkerton ruined kuhn this year with his post. He ruins alot of places with his post.

Not to mention he is a user and a lier. Had my fill this year of him!!! I know Eric very well. He’s a shady cat for sure.
Fish On

Offline erikschultz99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2021, 03:03 PM »
Im on board for trying to bring this page to life. Ive been a member for a long time but mostly learning as im not as experienced

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2021, 09:28 AM »
thats what it used to be all about erik. ask away and youll get answers on tackle and tactics.  it still can be a place to share info but there should be limitations.  the ones that cry about people not posting lakes or ask for them, are the ones to watch out for. ;) 

OANN the real story

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.