Alaska > Ice Fishing Alaska

Big Lake hints

<< < (3/4) > >>

Akhardwater:
Yeah the time frame was a big downer for me to, it really cut into my Louise time.  I also didn’t like the fact that they only fish big lake.  There are plenty of stocked lakes out there so why have it on an already overpreassured natural lake.

iced:
I am doing the SCO this year. It is my first year. I don't normally fish big lake. My partner lives near the lake and has it mapped out. We don't have livescope or Panoptix  but with his map we can find all the places to fish. He has put in over 90 trips to make the map. We did not do to bad the first outing. I out fished him LOL. I did not catch any tanks but I got all 6 biggest was 24 inches. Unfortunately, two of the fish where 13 and 14 inches but at least hey gave us some inches. They issue you a fish trough now. My friend and I pu tthe trough on a mat to measure just for extra fish safety. I have ignored the lake in the past because the ADFG map makes it look boring without a lot of structure. There is actually a lot of places to fish in the lake and it is quite complex. 

I have a friend with Panoptix it is pretty cool. Last week we watched a fish come from over 30 feet away and smash a tube. We had a school of Salmon fry on the screen and we watched a big fish come in and chase them and one of the salmon was snatched up it was cool to watch. they are great units. I would say that I have confirmed a few thoughts that I have had  about fish behavior with it.   As cool as they are I am not going to be spending that much money on a unit. It takes him for ever to set up I am sure there are faster ways to get set up but I can normally fish for 15 minuets or so before he even has his in the water. The whole unit the black box and the battery is a lot of weight.  Perhaps if I had a boat to put in on in the summer but I just cant justify it. I have had a Marcum and Vexlar bolth lasted a few years. I few years ago I made the move to all digital. I use a Garmin 73 CV and love it. For ice fishing I use the split screen with the whole water column on one side with the traditional flasher. on the other side I have the bottom five feet zoomed in on a sonar screen with "A" fram on the side. The cool part is that if I see marks on the flasher mid water column I can use the touch screen and zoom into those makes. The best part of digital is that I no longer have to listen to the buzzing sound of the flasher units. Both the Marcom and Vex seemed to get louder and louder with time.       

Akhardwater:
Good luck man I know you know how to fish so you should do good.  If you want any tips from a former winner give me a call and I can give you some tips.

iced:
I will give you a call later when I am not avoiding work. LOL

iced:

--- Quote from: Akhardwater on Jan 11, 2021, 02:55 PM ---Good luck man I know you know how to fish so you should do good.  If you want any tips from a former winner give me a call and I can give you some tips.

--- End quote ---

I sent you a PM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version