Wyoming > Ice Fishing Wyoming

Your best tip/ Must have equipment

<< < (2/10) > >>

phishmonger:

--- Quote from: WYIfish on Dec 04, 2020, 11:38 AM --- hot tip, at flaming gourge we can't use a gaff hook but we can wrap a nylon on a stick to make a tooth catching device to bring a fish through the hole. I just called the game and fish and they confirmed that it is ok. the metal gaff is to protect the big lakers from getting holes in their mouths. Nylon wrapped on a wooden handle works pretty slick and costs next to nothing, just  wrap tightly.

--- End quote ---

Well that's pretty cool!

hardwater diehard:

--- Quote from: WYIfish on Dec 04, 2020, 11:38 AM --- hot tip, at flaming gourge we can't use a gaff hook but we can wrap a nylon on a stick to make a tooth catching device to bring a fish through the hole. I just called the game and fish and they confirmed that it is ok. the metal gaff is to protect the big lakers from getting holes in their mouths. Nylon wrapped on a wooden handle works pretty slick and costs next to nothing, just  wrap tightly.

--- End quote ---

More detail please ..so a stick wrapped in a nylon stocking ...that seems amazingly simple

huntinfool18:
2 things that have made me a more successful angler are a sonar/gps unit and lake contour maps. Even more so on new body’s of water.  I won’t leave home without them, least not on purpose anyway  ;D

WYIfish:

--- Quote from: hardwater diehard on Dec 04, 2020, 01:05 PM ---More detail please ..so a stick wrapped in a nylon stocking ...that seems amazingly simple

--- End quote ---
I made one a few years ago and it worked well on fish less than 10 pounds or so.  1) best option is a 18 inch wooden shovel handle, and a pair of cheap pantyhose.  tightly wrap the pantyhose on the end of the wooden handle. drill a hole carefully in the handle and tie off the stocking/hose real tightly. For a better tool, put a cord or small rope at the hand end. if you catch a ling, you could use it a coup stick to whack them in the head. Laugh if you want but it does work quite well. Just have to catch fish with teeth in the front of their mouth.............espe cially pike and walleye, and lake trout.

Another tool that works really well is a livewell.  Use one inch pvc and make a 12 inch aquare. Use the net that socker balls are put in and fasten it around the frame. Attach with zip ties. Place the net device (think of a regular fishing net with out a handle) or just use your fish net instead of building one. Place the net in the ice hole. Place the fish in the net. works surprizing well, weights little cost next to  nothing to make.  We all know that ice fishermen love to make gadgets. The fish stay fresh in the water instead of drying out  and freezing on the ice. It will surprize you how better they are to fillet when they aren't froze stiff as a board.
And that's what I know to share.

hardwater diehard:

--- Quote from: WYIfish on Dec 04, 2020, 07:08 PM --- I made one a few years ago and it worked well on fish less than 10 pounds or so.  1) best option is a 18 inch wooden shovel handle, and a pair of cheap pantyhose.  tightly wrap the pantyhose on the end of the wooden handle. drill a hole carefully in the handle and tie off the stocking/hose real tightly. For a better tool, put a cord or small rope at the hand end. if you catch a ling, you could use it a coup stick to whack them in the head. Laugh if you want but it does work quite well.

Another tool that works really well is a livewell.  Use one inch pvc and make a 12 inch aquare. Use the net that socker balls are put in and fasten it around the frame. Attach with zip ties. Place the net device (think of a regular fishing net with out a handle) or just use your fish net instead of building one.  We all know that ice fishermen love to make gadgets. The fish stay fresh in the water instead of drying out  and freezing on the ice. It will surprize you how better they are to fillet when they aren't froze stiff as a board.
And that's what I know to share.

--- End quote ---

Thanks ..I learned something new today

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version