Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Lake Trout

What are you guys looking for in a lake trout rod.

(1/3) > >>

Remps17:
I am building ups some laker rods for a few friends and myself. Mike will double for pike.

I have some 48 inch blanks I am making my buddies rod out of, and I might be cutting mine down.

I will be sanding the blanks down to get a taper I desire. Just not sure what I desire yet.

What kind of taper you guys like in laker rods. Assuming something that can handle big head shakes. Something more of a moderate action compared to fast?

They type of fishing will mainly be jigging I am assuming.

Thanks guys.

dsupercat:
I agree with the med-fast action.  Blank thickness would depend on the size of the lake trout you catch.  I have a lake trout rod that is 50" and I love it the only draw back is if you are fishing in a small tent, 95% of my fishing is outside.

PIKE FISHERMAN:
I built a laker rod from a 36” MH blank, MF action. I guess you could say i extended it to about 38” with the handle. You have to consider where your going to be jigging. A 48” rod in a small shack would tough. I mostly jig out of portables, so the 38” rod is perfect for me!!

Remps17:
Most of the rod use will be outside. Both my buddies and myself all have big hubs so room won’t be an issue if they are fished inside.

missoulafish:
same boat, making a jigging rod for big fish. Bought a 42" Carbon King from Vline. How long are you thinking about making the handle?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version