Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Crappies

Crappies thru the ice ????

(1/8) > >>

Fish On:
I am just getting into crappie fishing thru the ice this year and i am have a ROUGH TIME , i am fishing pymatuming lake in andover , ohio  . i did good there in the spring during the spawn , after the spawn was over i guess they left and went to deeper water as it warmed up , my question to you guys is where should i fish for them in the winter thru the ice ..shallow or deep water or shallow water with structure ???? any certian jigs i should buy or just use a minnow and a bobber ???? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance to all

joe

Bob_G:
Fish On, Is the ice good on pymie? I was fishing Arthur last night and the bite was tough. I pulled four crappies out and lost one at the hole. I was using maggots, on a glow demon, waxworms on a forage minnow, and I used maggots on a gold genz worm.  I had hits on a jigging rapala with a minnow head. I also caught 6 bluegills. all fish were released but, that is not going to last long I am getting hungry for some panfish. Good luck and be safe.  

Hard_H2O:
One thing you have to remember with crappies is that they feed up. You usually have to have the bait and lure above them. Electronics help a lot with crappies due to the fact that they do not always key into the bottom. Crappies are often suspended so you need to find the depth they are at and put the bait over their nose. I love the demon for crappies. Tip it with waxies, eurolarvae, or minnows.

In Minnesota we can use two lines through the ice. I run one stick with a demon and a minnow below a bobber and one jig with waxies on a jigging stick.

wisconsinboy:
what has always worked good for me for crappies. go out about 3 hours before dark and then fish until after dark for a few hour. i would look for some of the deepest water that you can find. i fish in about 23-25 ft. i use a plain wide gap hood witha minnow. then i have a slip float on my line. well good luck next time you go out.

eelpout:
Black crappies are one of my favorite fish to catch. I  sometimes catch them while bluegill fishing on the edge of weedbeds in 6-10 feet of water just using jigs and waxworms. The last couple of years though, I've been finding crappies suspended about 5-7 feet off the bottom in 20-25 ft of water. I usually find this in smaller inland lakes with a maximum depth of around 40 ft, and the water is darker or stained in color. I don't know why these fish are hanging out in deeper water, or what they are feeding on, but when I find them on the locator, I put down a small minnow or rosy red and a jig and can usually put a few of them on the ice. I can usually catch them any time of the day, but have had my best luck  
in the morning. This may be due in part that I am fishing stained water. Clear water may mean a better crappie bite after or near dark Good luck!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version