Author Topic: Trouble shooting spincasting ice fishing reels freezing up  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
So first of all, I should start off by saying that when I ice fish for lake trout and burbot I like to use a baitcasting reel.  That being said, I often times bring friends and relatives out to my cabin and very often I have to equip them with gear for fishing and I can't afford to buy expensive good quality gear for everybody.  So my spare ice fishing rods tend to be spincasting rod and reel combos that can be purchased for $100 or less.  However, I've noticed a problem with the spincasting reels not functioning properly when it's really cold out and they tend to freeze up.  The drag ceases to function and the line just peels right off the reel.  That, and you can't set the hook on a fish.  But then, when I bring the reels indoors or inside an ice tent with a heater for about 20-30 minutes they start working again.  I can't figure out if it's a problem with the drag or possibly the braided line is freezing and not biting down or grabbing on the reel.  I've tried using different reels from Berkley to Fleugers so I don't think it is a particular brand that is the problem.  The knot I am using to attach to the reel is a Uni knot, which I assume is a good knot.  I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced these same problems with spincasting reels and if so, what is the solution to the problem?  Thanks.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Trouble shooting spincasting ice fishing reels freezing up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2020, 08:14 PM »
Take your friends fishing in march and April, usually much warmer.....this year who knows though
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2020, 01:35 AM »
If I’m understanding the problem correctly, there isn’t enough tension in your uni knot to affix your spool of line to the reel so it just peels out without opening the bale and for that matter you also can’t reel it in when under a load. I had this happen to me once with braided and it was a bugger to reel up. I just retied my knot onto the spool and ensured it was taut. The knot I used is called an arbor knot and it is specifically meant to tie line to the spool. Just make sure you tie it tight and you should be good.

Offline TT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2020, 01:42 AM »
Try using some mono backing under the braid.it has some stretch to it and should help the line grip the spool.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2020, 09:33 AM »
If I’m understanding the problem correctly, there isn’t enough tension in your uni knot to affix your spool of line to the reel so it just peels out without opening the bale and for that matter you also can’t reel it in when under a load. I had this happen to me once with braided and it was a bugger to reel up. I just retied my knot onto the spool and ensured it was taut. The knot I used is called an arbor knot and it is specifically meant to tie line to the spool. Just make sure you tie it tight and you should be good.

Good suggestion.  Thanks

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2020, 09:34 AM »
Try using some mono backing under the braid.it has some stretch to it and should help the line grip the spool.

Good suggestion.  Thanks.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2020, 06:24 PM »
So I ran into a friend of mine who owns a local fly shop and he gave a helpful suggestion also.  He suggested taking the braided line off the reel first, putting down some masking tape or electrical tape down to the reel.  He said masking tape works better than electrical tape.  And then try attaching the braided line to the reel.  That way the braided line bites down on the tape and sticks to the reel.  So after all the suggestions I've heard, I think I am going to try the tape idea first and then I'm also going to first start with mono or fluorocarbon and then use a double nail knot, blood knot, or some other knot to join together to the braided line.  Any thoughts? 

My friend who owns the fly shop said the Uni knot works fine for attaching to a reel.  I know others mentioned the arbor knot.  Any thoughts or ideas?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.