Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Trout

Flies For Trout

(1/3) > >>

SpitzoMT:
This is purely a curiosity question, as I'm sure I'll try it sometime anyway.....

Has anyone tried using "Wooly Worms/Buggers" under the ice for trout ??

I've used them often in the summer & have caught some nice size fish with darker colors like black/dark green/green. I've tried green sinking nymphs & some leech patterns under the ice before with some luck, but was just wanting to hear about anyone's experience with the "Wooly's". - Thanks !!

Seamonkey84:
I’ve had good success with little leech pattern I tied with squirrel strip instead of rabbit. I put a big tungsten bead on it so it works as a jig or to cast. Biggest problem I have with any flies for ice fishing is the fur or feathers freeze while I’m moving from hole to hole.

meandcuznalfy:
I've used wooly buggers for ice fishing, even tied some 1/8 th oz jigs with them for ice fishing, Marabou jigs also work well.

phishmonger:
A balanced leech can be a killer under the ice, since they sink horizontal! Not necessarily a bugger, but I count em in the same family.
I've been working on a balanced minnow fly that I'm gonna try this winter, but maybe I'll whip up some balanced buggers as well and let you know how they fish.

Seamonkey84:
Oh, also, try something that mimicsor resembles water boatman/back swimmers, the trout I catch are full of them and snails. I caught one on a rubber legged pattern I tied. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version