Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Darkhouse Spearing

Marking an old spearing hole?

(1/3) > >>

Huntindave:
I know that when leaving an existing open or slightly froze over spear hole, it is best to leave a marker warning others of the thin ice spot.

My friend uses brush/small dead limbs found along the shoreline.  This is great, provided those materials available. What about when they are not readily available? What do guys use to mark the hole, that is "OK" or acceptable to leave out there on the ice?  I don't want to litter, but I don't want to create an unsafe sitation either.

Some wood laths with some type of flagging?  Colored paper mache as flagging?  Last long enough till the ice freezes solid yet will deteriotate after that?

DR.SPECKLER:
If you know you’re going spearing, grab branches and put them with your gear before you leave.no shortage of branches laying around.i grab some green evergreen pine branches and put them in my truck the day before.

wyogator:
The guys who spear on our lake leave the block of ice, taken out of the hole, next to the edge of the hole.

Huntindave:

--- Quote from: wyogator on Dec 22, 2018, 01:21 PM ---The guys who spear on our lake leave the block of ice, taken out of the hole, next to the edge of the hole.

--- End quote ---

I've heard of that but thought most guys then put the block back in the hole when leaving.  If I left a big block of ice on the surface, I'd be worried of someone running into it with a snowmobile, especially if it was covered with fresh snow. 

mi500:

--- Quote from: Huntindave on Dec 22, 2018, 01:47 PM ---I've heard of that but thought most guys then put the block back in the hole when leaving.  If I left a big block of ice on the surface, I'd be worried of someone running into it with a snowmobile, especially if it was covered with fresh snow.

--- End quote ---

I have heard complaints from snowmobilers that they cant see the blocks of ice until it’s too late.   Not enough contrast.  I’m not an experienced spearer but I have been grabbing evergreen branches on my ride out if I drag my spear along. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version