Author Topic: catfish rattlingn noise  (Read 4766 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
catfish rattlingn noise
« on: Feb 20, 2016, 08:51 AM »
For the first time I paid attention to the catfish rattle.  I always thought that they were burping the rattle..  However I saw the catfish used its pectoral fins.  It rattled as the catfish rattled it.  Thats amazing.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: catfish rattlingn noise
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2016, 11:34 PM »
it is pretty cool! they actually make the noise similarly to the way crickets chirp, by rubbing two ribbed bones together.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2016, 03:15 AM »
I wonder the reason behind their rattle is.  Do they do it to be aggressive, like a hissing cat or growling dog?

Or like a rattling rattler?  They gonna strike with that barbed fin of theirs.  I know at least the little catfish, some will purposely try to sting you, when you release them.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2016, 11:42 AM »
fish don't deal with sound very often, and catfish deal with stuff above water even less. most likely it's a distress signal meant to send a very recognizable vibration pattern through the water. basically just saying "warning, i'm in danger, there's a predator here"

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2016, 09:59 PM »
These aren't little catfish.  Decent in size.  22"-28" in length.  Now I've heard even the big ones in the 30"-34" length ones would rattle as well.  I just never paid attention to it.  I'm thinking croaking is probably a better description of what they're doing. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.