Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Eelpout

30-06 jig?

(1/1)

FlamDragger:
A buddy of mine ran into a local! Up North a few miles, who fills an empty 30-06 shell with lead, and attaches a treble-hook baited with perch meat while fishing for burbot.  He was given one, on the lake.  Within five minutes he drug up a 36 incher!  I guess it was his only catch, but he was jacked, to say the least.  Anyone else heard of using ammo (used) on fish?

Water Wolf:
Never heard of that trick before, but makes sense to me.
The heavy weighted cartage would bang the bottom hard kicking up lots of sand and debris and make a fair ruckus.
When the burbot came to check it out, the chunk of bait on the hook appealed to their sense of smell and taste, and bang, fish on. :tipup:

I bet adding some steel shot to clang around inside a sealed spent cartage may work also, just like a larger buckshot rattle spoon.

WW

Derik:
Not much different than using a big diamond jig, or a gold swedish pimple really.  Some days very simple plain looking jigs work best.

gooner:
Never heard of this before, what end was the hook attached to the neck of the case or the primer side. Might have to make some of these I have a ton of 30-06 brass

Walted:
I have read a lot lately about using copper pipe jigs for cod and halibut. Seems like a smaller version of the same idea. Bet it would work good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version