Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Bluegill

Looking for a new rod

<< < (4/7) > >>

Unclegillhunter:

--- Quote from: lingcod on Dec 16, 2018, 01:06 PM ---I agree with Mancave - Fenwick elite all the way. Ive caught some serious lake trout on my 24 ML rod Also have an UL for panfish. Another plus is theprice.

--- End quote ---
I have two one ML and one L.
Keep it safe! JDL

troutbum32:
Have you tried fly fishing at all for bluegill. This has been some of my favourite fishing over the past summer season. I got a cheap 3 weight rod from moonshine after reading this article and had a ball. You can just use a small streamer or topwater lure and the strike rate is really high.

Sylvanboat:
Go to EBay and type in Shakespeare ice rods.  Their rods are incredibly sensitive and a great rod for what you want to spend. If you are open to $42, also on EBay, Hardwater Custom has some great rods too.  I own two and am very happy.

jrjach75:

--- Quote from: Monticatgeek on Jan 16, 2018, 10:32 PM ---A 20 or 24 inch Jason Mitchell meat stick would fit what you are looking for. sensitive tip but a good back bone to them. I just started running them my self this year and really have gotten to liking them. the other option would be a noodle type rod.

--- End quote ---

I fished with one all last season, the "dead meat" version. Mostly crappies and bluegills but I do catch an accidental bass, for $30, the rod was great in and out of the shack.

slipperybob:
Blue gills are notorious for their nibble nibbles.  This is where that St. Croix Legend spring bobber excels.  I would also choose an UL glass rod as an alternative.  One that has a good noodle tip but some backbone to set the hook quickly too.

Now when the big gills are on minnow feed, the standard carbon in a L power would be my preference.  Spoons and some bait works well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version