The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ice auger question  (Read 2575 times)

djm

ice auger question
« on: Dec 27, 2005, 05:05 AM »
I found an inexpensive auger.  Its not like most I've seen.  The blade is like a shovel.  You turn the the handle and its supposed to dig the hole.  I havent received it yet but I was wondering if anyone knows if these things work?

hali-man

Re: ice auger question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2005, 05:49 AM »
It sounds like one of the old-school "spoon" augers.
I haven't heard too many good things about them, but let us know how you like yours.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2005, 07:50 AM »
Their a real pain when it needs sharpening, haven't see one in many years.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline Fishbreath

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2005, 08:05 AM »
I've seen one in operation and The old timer said it only good for only 4 or 5" of ice. I would think it might be a collectors item in time. The last time I seen it was 20+ years ago. I didn't think they make them anymore, or did you order from e-bay?
My wife is a widow during ice season.
ice shanty #53
VBA #299
retirement is't all its cracked up to be.................... ............its better

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2005, 08:21 AM »
If you didn't order it yet DON'T. Unless you like drilling "1" hole better than fishing.
       Jim

djm

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:26 AM »
I've seen one in operation and The old timer said it only good for only 4 or 5" of ice. I would think it might be a collectors item in time. The last time I seen it was 20+ years ago. I didn't think they make them anymore, or did you order from e-bay?

yes i did order it from ebay.  I just tried to cancel the order

djm

« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:29 AM »
yes i did order it from ebay.  I just tried to cancel the order

check this out.....Brian Wallin of Nisswa 13.8 seconds to take 3rd Place with a StrikeMaster Antique Spoon Auger...apparently he won using a spoon auger....

Uh oh....could you guys be wrong.....Dont know if I want to take the chance and buy this auger.  You guys know your stuff.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:49 AM »
ive saw one in action they work but if it dont it wiill look ::) good in your den like the digitally enhanced >:( :'( tipups i got offa ebay older than i am :unsure: has anybody else have a story to tell mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline pisces_paul

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2005, 10:45 AM »
Their a real pain when it needs sharpening, haven't see one in many years.
I have one of these augers& i must agree with nepa on that ,dad & i last used that auger prior to 1970. I think dad ordered it from Herters with a small stone sharpener 4 touch ups . From what i remember it worked good as long as it was sharp, course thats when i was 16 .....had energy to burn then. I've played around with it but never could get it to perform , i know when its working properly u'll get a 2'' core of ice out of the center the thickness of the ice. I think i still have it & the stone some where ???

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2005, 11:02 AM »
they will cut fine but not as fast as a lazer. up to about  8 to 10 inchs of ice is no problem. at 2 feet i swear a lot but it will work. there is a fellow in the upper mid west where i send it to get sharpened every couple of years.   as a bonus if they are sharp you cut a core to play foot hockey with.

If you need to get it sharpened leave a post and i'll look his name up for you or you can google him  (bud hull) ?

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2005, 11:13 AM »
just Curious what did u pay for it

Offline pisces_paul

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2005, 11:36 AM »
they will cut fine but not as fast as a lazer. up to about  8 to 10 inchs of ice is no problem. at 2 feet i swear a lot but it will work. there is a fellow in the upper mid west where i send it to get sharpened every couple of years.   as a bonus if they are sharp you cut a core to play foot hockey with.

If you need to get it sharpened leave a post and i'll look his name up for you or you can google him  (bud hull) ?
Ya i remember the foot hockey games, Davef  could you get his name for me, and how much it costs to get sharpened ....if u remember ? Thanks in advance Paul

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2005, 01:06 PM »
I'll look it up after work. its was less than $9 including return postage if i remember right. if they are sharp they are fine but man when its dull forget it. it took me 20 minutes to drill thru 2 foot at high point years ago. all it would do was spin. i finally asked to borrow a near by guys auger to drill my other 4 holes. 

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2005, 02:39 PM »
Ya i remember the foot hockey games, Davef  could you get his name for me, and how much it costs to get sharpened ....if u remember ? Thanks in advance Paul

Paul: its bud hull, 8677 hidden trail, Orleans, Mi 48865. He has a phone number listed 616 761 3969 but i never tried it. there is also a web site www.Ice Augers.com that you could try. the price list i have is $9.95 per spoon or set of blades and this includes shipping and handling. he sparpens your own blades and i have always gotten the same ones back. i have sent to him probably 4 times total and they always come back sharp adn i have been pleased with his service. usually doens't take very long for him to egt them back either

Offline pisces_paul

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2005, 09:00 PM »
Davef: Thanks for the info , that really sounds like a reasonable price ......i might as well get it done ......u never know when u might need it . paul

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.