Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Trout

Making some bucktail jigs. Suggestions?

(1/2) > >>

vt-jig:
I am looking to tie up some bucktail jigs for trout, and need some suggestions as to what jigs to use. id like them to be around 1/4oz-1/2oz and to have fairly sturdy hooks. To be honest, im trying to find a cheap way to make jigs similar to Northland's Buck-a-roo jig. Bps has some jigs in a 20 pk i believe, but they are made with eagle claw bronze hooks, which have not been very reliable in my experience. They also have some in the weight i am looking for but it is a 4/0 hook, which seems rather large. im not sure about the best hook size as ive never ice fished for trout. All of the trout lakes i will be fishing have lakers and some large-ish browns if that helps.

Reel_Force:
PM sent

er-e-is:
I use a 4/0 Gamakatsu hook with a 1/2 oz head for lakers. I pour my own. It is hard to find the right combination of weight and quality hooks. I have also used matzuo sickle hooks. They are a bit cheaper than gam's. even little lakers have no problem with a 4/0

WalleyeTom:
I use a 4/0 with a 1 oz head.  I pour my own and use the tails from the white tail deer I shoot.

Cub:
Gamakatsu 4/0 in your choice of weight.Super strong and wicked sharp.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version