Author Topic: Making some bucktail jigs. Suggestions?  (Read 3680 times)

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Making some bucktail jigs. Suggestions?
« on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:38 AM »
I am looking to tie up some bucktail jigs for trout, and need some suggestions as to what jigs to use. id like them to be around 1/4oz-1/2oz and to have fairly sturdy hooks. To be honest, im trying to find a cheap way to make jigs similar to Northland's Buck-a-roo jig. Bps has some jigs in a 20 pk i believe, but they are made with eagle claw bronze hooks, which have not been very reliable in my experience. They also have some in the weight i am looking for but it is a 4/0 hook, which seems rather large. im not sure about the best hook size as ive never ice fished for trout. All of the trout lakes i will be fishing have lakers and some large-ish browns if that helps.
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Making some bucktail jigs. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:07 AM »
PM sent

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:36 AM »
I use a 4/0 Gamakatsu hook with a 1/2 oz head for lakers. I pour my own. It is hard to find the right combination of weight and quality hooks. I have also used matzuo sickle hooks. They are a bit cheaper than gam's. even little lakers have no problem with a 4/0

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2013, 04:33 PM »
I use a 4/0 with a 1 oz head.  I pour my own and use the tails from the white tail deer I shoot.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2013, 07:47 PM »
Gamakatsu 4/0 in your choice of weight.Super strong and wicked sharp.
Jig em up!

Offline AT Grimaldi

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why does my 13 yr old always out fish me?
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2019, 10:10 PM »
Having poured 1000s of pounds of lead for jigs and tying up 100s of them, there are basically 2 routes you can go down.

1.  You can pour the jigs yourself, powder coat them, tie them and there you have it. 
          Pros:  you get exactly what you want, on a larger scale it is very cost effective
          Cons:  There is a significant upfront cost and it takes time - a precious commodity

2.  You can buy the jigs either plain or pre-painted and tie them yourself.
          Pros:  You can most likely get what you want and the cost is very effective (cheap)
          Cons:  If you are doing smaller batches, this is the route to go.  On a larger scale, it can very expensive quickly.

Places you can go to get both the molds, hooks, powder coat, tools, materials and even painted jigs are Barlows Tackle, JannsNetCraft are my two favorites, but there are plenty more sites.  I bet you might even be able to find pre-poured unpainted jigs on eBay.

- ATG
Vintage Frabill Ice Shuttle with modifications
K-Drill with M18 Milwaukee Drill
Jack Traps rule the world of hardwater!
Marcum LX-7LI Lithium Combo Sonar System
ATG Custom Smelt Jigging Boards
ATG Custom Jigs
Arctic Armor Suit
Mr. Buddy
Shappell 3000
.....and no time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum