Author Topic: Laker/Char gear???s  (Read 2157 times)

Offline wild4ak

• IceShanty Rookie
Laker/Char gear???s
« on: Nov 07, 2011, 03:33 PM »
What kind of gear are you all using for the lunkers? I picked up a Two Rivers heavy wt and put a Okuma bait caster on it with 12lb fluorocarbon.  Not sure what I should pick up for jigs or spoons?  Just asking for gear suggestions, ideas and tips. I'll find the lakes to fish that's half the fun right!! ;D

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
Re: Laker/Char gear???s
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2011, 04:39 PM »
well to start, it can get spendy.....some of the best go-to laker and char lures ive used include big doctor spoons in silver, brass, and red and white, the bigger the better, and big airplane jigs...i also keep a wide selection of krocodile spoons in various sizes and colors, and they have been productive many times....other good lures are 4" white or glo tube jigs...crippled herring or other saltwater jigs can get you results as well....what really matters is being in the right place at just the right time....if they are hungry they may strike anything you offer....as for line, if you are going to be spending much time on the big waters, 12lb would be the bare minimum for most of the guys i fish with....be sure to map the places you catch fish, and try to keep a bit of a journal (lure/bait,date, weather, depth, any noteworthy detail), it can be a good reference when the fish are hard to find.....try to keep yourself as mobile as possible, and pack light if you can...you may have to drill ALOT of holes with no results before you find the fish...another idea that sometimes works well is bring an extra rod or even a solid stick, rig it up with about 10 yards of 20lb mono, and hook up a set of big ol cowbell trolling spinners....this can cause alot of commotion in the water and is a wonderful visual stimulator to help turn on the bite and to bring in big fish, as it looks alot like a school of baitfish....do you have any electronics youll be using?
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline alcanron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2011, 06:47 PM »

I like you last got serious and bought all the gear. Here is what it cost me the prices are estimates I am sure it cost more...............OUC H!

Quick Fish 3 $209.00
Eskimo Z-51 10 inch Ice Auger $450.00
18 inch extension $35.00
Extra 10 inch blades $35.00
Showdown digital fish finder $325 I used this first but liked the Vexilar better
Vexilar FL-12 $450.00
Little Buddy Heater $89.00 Used for warmer days above 0
Tank Top Heater $49.00 Used for 0 to -30 days
2 lake trout rods made localy by Two Rivers Rods. These rods are sold at Sportsmans Warehouse cost $65.00 each
Reels ABU Revo S Reels they retail for $105.00
Small Otter Sled and cover $80.00
A good chair.
Rod Holders
GPS to mark the productive areas.
Jigs and more Jigs..........
7 and 7 this helps pass the time..........Makes fish catching real exciting

Huge trophy class Lake Trout and Arctic Char Priceless!

I am sure there is more but this will give you an idea or anyone else who is wondering what the basic cost is.

I upgraded this year I bought a new 2011 Arctic Cat Bearcat 570 fan so that I can explore new Lake Trout fishing areas.

"There are many good fishermen and some great ones. But there is only one you." The Old Man and The Sea

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2011, 08:45 PM »
12 is too light in my book. Run some 20 maxima with a 6 foot leader in whatever you want. IF and WHEN you get a big one there will be lots of time that your line is rubbing on the ice. 20 lb line will take it lots better than 12 for sure..That being said I have yet to land one over 15lbs. And watch your number of hooks with the airplane jigs. Some places its single hook. Good luck to ya. Camera or sonar is REALLY nice. We didnt have them for alot of years and did well but now we do great with them. Its nice to know how deep it is before you drill for lakers a through ice sounder has helped eliminate ALOT did I say ALOT what I meant to say was ALOT LOT of drilling.

Offline wild4ak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2011, 11:54 AM »
Thank you for all the replies and the great info!! I travel pertty light. I have a showdown Ice troller on order it should be here this week. I'll up grade my line weight and start hunting down all the recomendations for the lures. What is the average depth you are fishing for them?

Offline alcanron

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2011, 12:23 PM »
As for the line I use the White Berkley Fire Line Crystal 20lb attached to a berring swivel and three feet of 20lb Flurocarbon P-line. I use the 20lb for two reasons. I do not want the fish to break off or the line get cut on the edge of the ice.

As far a depth, it depends on the lake. Sometime we catch them at over a 100 ft and other times at 30-40 ft.

Good luck! ;D
"There are many good fishermen and some great ones. But there is only one you." The Old Man and The Sea

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:09 PM »
Great ideas for you for sure!
Depths are pretty variable indeed!  I have caught them in the interior from 10 ft. to 120 fow.  If I didn't have any intel on the lake I was fishing, I would look for points in water around 45 ft.  This "seems" like the most sane average depth of water that I have caught fish around the state...  Drilling lots of holes and "trolling" is an excellent method cover lots of ground!  Remember! Not all lakers are stuck on the bottom!  I have caught them in the middle thermocline on a regular basis.  Electronics will indeed narrow the playing field for you too.  Keep an eye on bait balls (ciscoes, whitefish, etc...)  If you generally find them, you'll find the lakers and char.  Hope this helps in addition to the others suggestions...
 ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline wild4ak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2011, 12:24 PM »
All very good info. I hope to put it all to work and make the magic happen!  :icefish:

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2011, 12:43 AM »
Thank you for all the replies and the great info!! I travel pertty light. I have a showdown Ice troller on order it should be here this week. I'll up grade my line weight and start hunting down all the recomendations for the lures. What is the average depth you are fishing for them?
Big Lakers are on the moving after a meal.  It is always good to fish an edge, use cut white fish with your jig (if bait is leagal).  They like deep water, but often cruise in the shallows after food.  I caught a 20lb, 18lb and a bunch of 15lb lakers in 3 feet of water last year.  Good luck!
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline guesak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2011, 01:31 PM »
Not much of a laker expert but I do fish char a bit.

Here's our go to rigging:  Basically a small dodger and a jig of some kind. Black bucktail, weighted eggs sucking leeches, or rubber minnows.  Works best when sight fishing since its easier to set the hook. 

Vid I posted last year of underwater of char fishing with and without dodger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicORzDjA_s

Offline wild4ak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2011, 05:30 PM »
Thanks for the tips and the pics/video. I can watch that stuff all day long!

Offline JediMasterSalmonSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2011, 02:26 PM »
Good to see you hanging out here Rudy!!

Offline guesak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2011, 02:31 PM »
Good to see you hanging out here Rudy!!

Thanks Jedi! Love your vids!  Keep them coming! Tinkering with a few new camera setups for underwater shots! Stay tuned!!!!

Offline Great White Char Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I'm all jacked up on mountain dew chip!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2011, 06:29 PM »
i use the 4" krocodile with the red prism tipped with a red single hook. char love it. i almost never use anything else these days when im going after charzilla.  if you can get it to do a fast roll (death roll) on the down jig it drives those char crazy. i cant speak for lake trout, havent been to a lake that has them. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.