Canada > Ice Fishing British Columbia

Cranbrook and Invermere areas

(1/4) > >>

cjlawren:
Hello, I'm going to be visiting BC over the last week of December, and was hoping to take the family out for some ice fishing for at least a day or two. We're staying in Fairmont, and I figure that between the Cranbrook area and Windermere, there might be some good fishing opportunities.

I've done some research, and it looks like my first choice, Whiteswan Lake, is closed (too bad). Instead, I'd like to know if Windermere is usually frozen over by this time of year, and if so, what is the fishing like?

Also, I've heard that there are perch in Wasa Lake. I've also heard there are lots of springs under the lake, making the ice somewhat dangerous. Do people icefish this lake in late December, or do they wait unil later in the season?

The other area that might work out is down by Cranbrook, where maps show a series of smaller lakes that are supposed to contain fish ( ie: Suzanne, NorthStar, Tie Lake).

If anyone on this board knows a bit about ice fishing in these spots and could tell me whether or not I should bother bringing out the gear, I'd really appreciate it. We'll be buying licenses and following the regs, so no need to worry about giving info to an irresponsible fisherman.

Happy Holidays,

Caleb

Josephs Prairie:
I live in Cranbrook, and yes Whiteswan is closed til Jan 3rd. Windermere lake has ling cod but I could not tell you if it is going to have ice in December. Wasa does have perch and bass in it, but because it is a warm lake it to might not be hard. I heard the other day that Suzanne is open still. If I was you I would try Lazy lake above Wasa, it is frozen last I heard and folks are doing well there. Lazy has some big rainbow in it. Tie lake has lots of Perch, perch all day long, as many as you want to catch. But I don't know if it is frozen, I would guess and say that it probably is. I can find out tomorrow from a guy I work with that lives near there. Good luck!

cjlawren:
Thanks for the advice! I'm always looking forward to trying out new spots. If things go well, I'll post results on the board when I get back.

TGF:
If you ever want to really icefish come a little more north.

Josephs Prairie:
Probably more West for this guy Terry. I think he is from Alberta.
We have good ice fishing here too you know. :P The kootenay and Elk rivers are world renowned, Duck Lake has some of the biggest Bass in the west, and even Loon Lake is fished every year by the editor of the BC Outdoors Mag. Shelly and Courtney have came and fished the St. Mary river for their TV show and a few other places like the Bull River etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version