The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Spearing from a flip shanty?  (Read 3154 times)

Offline WhiteTailHunter87

• IceShanty Rookie
Spearing from a flip shanty?
« on: Jun 26, 2010, 09:15 PM »
Well first off hello im new here second  I was thinking about spearing from a flip shanty and was wondering how many people use a flip Thanks
Pin Em To The Bottom!!!

Army National Guard HOOAH!!! 88M

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
Re: Spearing from a flip shanty?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27, 2010, 01:32 PM »
I'm sure you could do it but your standing room is going to be really limited and youll have to think about the slant of the flip limiting your room.  :tipup:
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jun 27, 2010, 03:58 PM »
Yeah I have a Shappell 3000S I cut a bigger hole in it and hinged it but I been thinking about trying a flip or building a permanent shanty Thanks
Pin Em To The Bottom!!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2010, 08:03 AM »
ive done it in a 2 man shappell out on gun lake a couple times.never speared 1 but i know its possible.

Offline frozen_feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jul 06, 2010, 06:22 PM »
shoot guys anything is possible  i have seen guys spear out of flip shanties
matt

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jul 09, 2010, 11:51 PM »
Sure anything possible but my concern is more of how practical it would really be... :-\

I'm sure you could do it though. You should think about making a hardside you can actually do it for fairly cheep and the projects half the fun. I had a blast working on mine last year with my buddies LOL.  8)
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jul 15, 2010, 09:36 PM »
I built a hard side before and people would brake in it every other day I just had a lot of problems but I draw up some new plans for a lighter one I think I will start building it soon  I love using a hard side shanty way nicer then going with my portable plus when the wind picks up on the saginaw bay just a little im done in the pop up but in the hard side I can still fish    what size do you guys build yours
Pin Em To The Bottom!!!

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2010, 09:30 PM »
The one I made was a beast 8x8 with one 6ft side one 5ft side so the roof was on a slant.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline shadykiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:01 PM »
u can do anything if u want i used a flip last year then a 3000dlx and now i have a coop so no matter what u want just get out there and enjoy the outdoors...

Offline soggybtmboys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:17 PM »
That is all I spear out of.  I stay mobile that way and the places I like to spear are difficult getting in and out of, plus I don't have to sweat if I loose a canal due to a warm up and have a shanty stuck out in a bay.  I also don't have to worry about someone using it as a latrine.

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2010, 02:47 PM »
I've speared out of a home-built 6 x 4 ft. fold up shack for the past 20 yrs. It's fast and easy to move. Yesterday I poped a 42 incher, weight: a pinch under 20 lbs.   ;D

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Frabill 2 man works OK it has a pretty tall ceiling. A true darkhouse is best in my opinion. Look for plans  there are some nice ones made out of plywood and canvas that fold flat and set up in about a minute. I use one like this and throw it on my Otter sled when the snow gets to deep to pull the house by itself.

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:20 PM »
If you do use a portable shanty for spearing.....PLEASE ......mark your hole with a good amount of brush when you pull out!!!!!
Thanks.
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline bth

• IceShanty Rookie
  • What a glorius site:)
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:59 AM »
I built a hard side before and people would brake in it every other day I just had a lot of problems but I draw up some new plans for a lighter one I think I will start building it soon  I love using a hard side shanty way nicer then going with my portable plus when the wind picks up on the saginaw bay just a little im done in the pop up but in the hard side I can still fish    what size do you guys build yours

The way to solve the breaking into is don't lock it.  I never lock mine and have never had any problems knock on wood.  I spear on some busy lakes to.  The only thing I leave in there is a cheap real and the minnows that I sink to the bottom in a pail. It stinks some times having to haul the stuff in and out but I don't come out to a shanty that has the door ripped off or the walls kicked in.  Mine is 4x8 with a hole in the center. Good Luck
Never a bad time to be fishing;)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:55 PM »
I have had my new shack out for 3 weeks now no break ins but i put a very very small lock on it you could flick it off just so they wont use it as a port a john  :)
Pin Em To The Bottom!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.